Respected Contributor

Re: Does UPS ring your bell?

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

yes he does but believe me he breaks all the land speed records crossing my lawn and jumping back into his truck before I even make it to the front door.  That man needs to,try out for the Olympic 500 meter race team.

@KathyPetDo we have the same guy (jk)!   I'm lucky in that UPS, FedEx and even the carrier all ring and run. 

Your post reminds me of a joke I read on FB once - "To all the kids who used to ring doorbells and then run away - little did we know that you were just preparing for a future job with UPS"!

Trusted Contributor

Depends on the driver, but usually they don't. Thank goodness! I'm a nght owl and delivery is usually between 8 and 9 am. A few years ago there was one driver that would practically pound a hole in the door. Woke both my upstairs neighbor and me out of a dead sleep more than once. And everyone is right about them dropping packages and running. No way I would ever be able to get functional enough to get to the door and chew him/her out.

I'm another one who tracks packages online (actually I'm now also receiving emails). If it's valuable enough that I'm concerned, I'll make sure I'm awake. Otherwise, just let me sleep rather than scaring the you know what out of me and announcing to the whole appartment complex that I got a package.

Esteemed Contributor

We nicknamed our driver ploppy because he stands a few steps from the porch and throws whatever we are getting. He don’t have to ring bell the plop from the package alerts us. Thank goodness nothing ever broke! Happy thanksgiving 🦃🍁🍽!

Honored Contributor

No - never.  I think they should have to ring or knock.  If no one answers, then leave it.  But at least try.  DH and I never hear the delivery person and one of us at least is always home.  I worry about theft but ???? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It seems to me that they always used to knock long ago and wait. Then they knocked,dropped and ran.

Now they may just drop and run.

In our apt complex I've called and explained that you cannot just leave packages in apartment complexes.

Too much danger of theft.

It was only after a year or 2 that they started leaving things in the office. Even with telling UPS that they were supposed to do that, nothing changed until awhile ago.

Those drivers are under so much pressure. You can be sure that these drop and run procedures are directed by the company. I think it is a very hard job and they have so many to get done in a day. I don't envy them at all.

And having worked for this company, I don't think they take good care of their employees or care about them. Its a kind of a military atmosphere.You must perform.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  My daughter lives in a 2 building complex and there are big signs on the lobby doors that all packages must be left at the office.

Once the office receives them, they e-mail the residents that there is a package waiting for them.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, mine does...I have two that deliver.  The USPS does not, but I hear his truck if I'm home.  I do track my packages.  It does help.  Also if I'm away my neighbors will take my packages for me.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a doorbell nor do I have a front door. I have giant sliding glass doors (doorwalls) along the front of my house and yes, he knocks on the glass. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

Ring the door bell, you lucky if knock or blow the horn. I have a large picture window, I watch as they get out of the truck drop the package like it on fire, and run back to the truck. That one of the reason,I always have items shipped express, to be sure someone at home, and on specific items I request a signature, also I signed up for UPS email to let me know when the package is out for delivery.

Even with that, the Driver no not take the time to knock or blow the horn. I have complain and spoke to Supervisors,locally and UPS main office.I told them the drivers must be told to delivery this way, to delivery more packages. Oh course they said no, that not true, but they were silent when I told them i watch driver after driver follow this same procedure.

That's why I order less online items especially during holidays, that's why my Christmas shopping was completed in September.

I refuse to be a deer caught in the headlights, looking for a UPS delivery.While ordering locally online the service is better, I rather see items in person. As long as there is a local TJMAXX, Homegoods,Macys,Lowe's,I will(or my son-Lowe's) pickup.

Respected Contributor

No, and it's very irritatuing. He could hit his head on the bell, and still won't ring it. I get so irritated at them. I had one who not only rang your bell, but stopped and ask how everyone was, He was super, told me they are supposed to ring the doorbell. Even when I get frozen food from the Q, and I buy a lot of that, they put it on the porch and move on. You must check your computer every day if you have ordered anything then be on the lookout for it. Another thing they have been doing is transfering to the post office, so it's a couple days later than it should be,