Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

Wow. I believe it though. I have read many unkind comments over the years on these boards about SAHM's. Get a job??? Really??? That is full time job.

It's the same with people who retired early...Some of them are also asked, "What do you do all day?"

That question is usually asked by people who have to work and can't retire yet.

When my husband retired at an early age, one friend asked me what he does all day and if he volunteers anywhere. You would think she would have said that's wonderful and asked how he was able to do it. Anyway, I told her something like, "Whatever he wants...whenever he wants." She didn't say anything.

I get this from my extended family all the time. It doesn't seem to be okay with them if I choose to do nothing all day, ahahaha! They are horrified. Stupid bunch of overachievers, hehe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does It Bother You

[ Edited ]

Daisy wrote

It's the same with people who retired early...Some of them are also asked, "What do you do all day?"

That question is usually asked by people who have to work and can't retire yet.

When my husband retired at an early age, one friend asked me what he does all day and if he volunteers anywhere. You would think she would have said that's wonderful and asked how he was able to do it. Anyway, I told her something like, "Whatever he wants...whenever he wants." She didn't say anything.

@Daisy Sunflower

Retired when I was 52 after 33 years of hot/dirty and heavy lifting factory job. Same with many of my friends with the "what do you do yada-yada" stuff.

Usually said that I do nothing most of the time, but it sure wears me out. Retiring to me meant not having to be at the same place at the same times 5 days a week. Sure, my work was not a physically easy job, but being abls to do things on my time table was/is the most rewarding part of retirement for me.

That was almost 26 years ago and I have not regretted it for a single minute. My interests were/are diverse enough to occupy my body and/or my mind for as long as I choose. Some "live to work", others with jobs similar to mine, "work to live".

Takes something major to bother me, and this thread title is not one of them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

I try not to post the same when there is already and existing thread.

I think I started same the other day -- probably about the Pippa bash, and the forum monitor kindly merged it with an existing thread. That was very nice.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

No, not at all and 99% of the time it is a legitimate accident and they don't realize it. Even if it is on purpose why would I be annoyed about something I have 100% control over not reading if I don't want to. 

What annoying is those posters who apparently enjoyed being hall monitors so much in elementary school that they would like it to carry over here.  They have the nerve to admonish someone for doing so or whatever else they find fault in. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK