Respected Contributor

Re: Does It Bother You When Doctors Make You Wait

It happens to me all the time. They over book. Even getting the first appointment of the day is no guarantee that there won't be a wait time. They wonder why my blood pressure is high.

Valued Contributor

I no longer have to deal with this as I quit going to my gyno when I had a hysterectomy. I always had to wait. When I was working it was terrible because I had to get back to work. Depends on how much you love your doctor. I hated to leave but everyone I know waits at the gyno.
Esteemed Contributor

I have put my clothes back on and left and told them why.  Speak up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ll wait 30 to 45 min, because after all, they’re not running a

McDonalds and things can happen.

Always waiting for the same doc is, IMO a matter of intentional over-booking, and I will find a new MD.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

How annoying. I would have put my clothes back on in order to go back out there and ask what the holdup was. That is way too long to sit around half naked. Waiting that long in the waiting room is another story.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I have put my clothes back on and left and told them why.  Speak up.

great idea but leaving means you just have to come back

so it really gets you nowhere

however, saying you have been waiting for xx minutes does help 

Respected Contributor

I will wait 30-45 minutes if I have to and am given an explanation why. I once asked for the first appointment of  the day and was there on time. I waited in the exam room for over a half hour and found out later that the doc was not even scheduled to arrive until that time. From that time on, I  come in 1/2 later than my appointment time and me and the doc share the elevator up to the office.

Many years ago I made a gyn appt during my lunch hour. After an hour wait, I told them I was going to charge them my hourly rate since my paycheck would be docked (it wasn't). I never went back there.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

My mother's doctors, both her gen med and renal, have made us wait more than 1/2 hour. I don't make them wait for me. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. There's no way I'd wait that long unless I had some acute condition.  My doctor is very considerate of her patients time.

Respected Contributor

At my concierge MD they schedule each pt for 2-3 hours with the doctor so there is no wait.

At any doctor that takes insurance I know, I will have to wait.  At the 35 min mark I will open the exam room door and flag ANYONE I can find and tell them how long I have been waiting at the 45 min mark I start to get dressed and leave.  I am always sure to take my paperwork to the counter where I write in bold letters across the form NO SERVICE NO CHARGE and explain it to the check out staff.

I someone comes in to tell me sorry we had an emergency extra that is different, I understand that it happens, but I will not be left and forgotten.