Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does It Bother You When Doctors Make You Wait

@Jordan2  .. no one likes to wait.  However, things happen that are out of the doctor's control..... like emergencies or patients that need some extra attention for whatever reason.  I would definitely wait, unless I urgently had to be somewhere else.  

Honored Contributor

Most doctors in my area aren't independent. They work for a group or practice and that practice dictates their schedule.  Years ago my OB/GYN quit the practice of medicine over this.  She couldn't afford malpractice insurance on her own so she joined a group practice and that group paid a portion of her insurance.  However, her schedule was dictated by that group and she was required to see X number of patients a day.  They booked appointments every 15 minutes.  She didn't feel as if 15 minutes was enough time to spend with her patients, medicine was no longer what it was when she first began practicing, she felt patients were being treated unfairly by being herded in and out like cattle and she quit. 

Recently the only doctor I waited a long time for was my ortho.  It was not uncommon for me to wait close to 2 hours to see him.  He either got called to the hospital for an emergency that put his schedule off or he had other patients arrive late and throw everything off.        

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your post made me realize that I don't remember the last time I had to wait more than a couple of minutes for my Dr. appt.  in either of the two cities where I have recently lived.   I have a yearly appt this afternoon.  I've probably jinxed myself by saying this.

This reminds me....many many years ago I had an appt. with the PA with my PCP.   It was a late afternoon appt.   When finished, she said 'the nurse will give you your RX'.   She left and I got dressed and waited for the nurse.   And waited . And waited.  Finally, I opened the door to look around and the hallway was dark!!  I started walking around and didn't see anyone.  Finally, I saw a light on and door partially opened , tapped on the door and a woman came out, saying "you're still here?"  .    I explained and apparently the PA meant the nurse at the check out desk.  Everyone but this one person had gone home and she was about to leave.  Now, that would have been interesting.

Respected Contributor

More than I can even express.  The last time I went to the oncologist, he was running 45 minutes behind.  That seems to happen in his office frequently.  On the flip side--I went to the radiation oncologist yesterday and the biggest hold up was finding someone to record my temperature.  I was out of there in 20 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I do understand that emergencies do arise, but some doctors run late all the time. I would rather sit in the waiting room, then get put in an exam room and sit there ( my PCP can take up to an hour ). At least say I'm sorry for the wait, it's like my time isn't worth anything.I know why the medical assistants put you in the room, never to be seen again, they don't want to have to deal with patients complaints ( I realize it's not their fault the doctor hasn't come in). I recently went to myophthalmologist and waited in the exam room for an hour. They leave the door open so you can see people walking by. I said excuse me to the woman who put me in the room, I knew she heard me, there was a second of a hesitation, but she pretended she didn't. Finally I was lying in wait at the door and asked when the doctor was coming in, I got the stock answer of your next.

Regular Contributor

I had a Dr appointment on Monday for my foot . I hate to see Dr's but now more under the circumstances . Was addmited on time and yes I did have to wait . Not that many people in the waiting room . My co pay is $25. I was there and what was I suppossed to do ... Leave !! No !!  I also had blood work and an exray for my foot . I did see my Dr again for the results  . Since I do not see my Dr that often and under the circumstances  , I feel that this is justified . Go once and get it over and done .

Trusted Contributor

I don't normally have to wait very long for my Doctor. But when I  do, it always makes me a little anxious. Since I'm nervous being there anyway, the waiting makes it worse. But luckily she is usually on time!! 

Trusted Contributor

YES with one exception: my OB/GYN. I now only see a GYN and if I have to wait beyond a reasonable amount of time, yeah, I get ticked off (and she knows it).

An OB/GYN may be dealing with a miscarriage, fetal death in the office or any other emergency that can happen with a pregnancy/delivery. In that case, yeah, I had no issue if I had to wait (I needed emergency care a few times so, I have no right to demand they treat anyone else any differently). Beyond that, there's no excuse for it. It comes down to how they schedule and the insurance rules. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"