Valued Contributor

So, I've noticed that most of the drive up testing facilities are requiring that you have a dr's order PLUS meet the criteria in order to be tested (fever, sob, cough)

That is absolutely insane imo! To require someone to go into a drs office, possibly infect others (if they are positive) just to have a "order"...(paperwork)...To me it seems like a total waste of time and especially during a crisis like this where people's LIVES are at stake and you cannot even get a test without first seeing a doctor? It's just not right. If you meet the criteria (temp of 100.4 or over, cough, sob) then you should be tested. NO If's, and's or but's about it!

Thoughts?

~ Hope in TN ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Doctor's order for CV test?

If we have to get a Drs order for the test,why can't the Doctor do it while you are there getting an order????

.............dhhhhhhh............

Honored Contributor

If everyone showed up, it would be a nightmare. Our testing system is woefully lacking for now. We simply don't have enough tests, so they have to prioritize.

Check with your doctor first. Many are doing phone visitations or virtual meetings.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@BrandiDavisseems like whatever state or city you live in is quite backward.  In my city you DO have to have a doctor's order, but you don't go to the doctor's office to get it.  In fact, just the opposite, they are asking people to CALL their doctor's not go into the offices and perhaps infect other people.  Your doctor will then electronically write up an order and tell you which drive throughs you can go to.  When you go to the drive though you hold up your driver's license to the window.  The nurse/technician can then call up your order.  When you get to the front of the line you then roll down your window and they administer the test.

The reason you have to have a doctor's order is because the number of tests available and the numbers of workers are limited.  They can't have everyone show up to be tested when they are not exhibiting any symptoms. 

It's the chicken little syndrome...everyone is giving out bad information and those gullible enough to believe it think they have the virus and insist on being tested.

Honored Contributor

There. Aren't. Enough. Tests.

Right now, we can't do the things we should do and need to do because there are still not enough tests. I have no idea who is actually working on it. I know Italy, of all places, just sent us some to try to help us out.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Does it really matter if you do or don't have it?  They can't do anything except tell you to drink fluids, stay home, and take Tylenol unless you can't breathe.  All this testing does is  give the fear mongers data to scare more people.   Calm down and use some common sense.  

Honored Contributor

THERE.AREN'T.ENOUGH.TEST.KITS!

Those that truly need them should be a priority, not sports players, not entertainers, not anyone that has a little sniffle or very LOW grade fever of 100.4.

In this day and age of cyber/app/internet everything, I'm pretty sure the doctor can send something to your cell phone via app.

Honored Contributor

If your home printer has fax capability, the doctor's order can be faxed to you.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

Does it really matter if you do or don't have it?  They can't do anything except tell you to drink fluids, stay home, and take Tylenol unless you can't breathe.  All this testing does is  give the fear mongers data to scare more people.   Calm down and use some common sense.  

It matters because if you have it, you will spread it to others. If you have it and feel fine and don't know it and don't isolate yourself, you are contributing to disease and death. So it matters.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

@brandiwine, yes, it does matter. We desperately need more test kits.

Some reasons why it's so important to get tested if you have the symptoms: If you test positive, then all with whom you've been in contact can be alerted; you will need to quarantine yourself; numbers are essential to gauge our progress (up or down) during a pandemic. 

I'm sure I've missed some.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland