Respected Contributor

Re: Do you remember the Association? (group from the 60s)

@Witchy Woman

Have a great time!

For one semester in college, my husband was concert chairman.  He had to meet the performers at the airport and arrange their stay. The Association was one of my favorites and I was a bit starstruck.  They certainly were an eclectic bunch of guys.

Honored Contributor

My husband is so jealous. He adored them

Valued Contributor

I went to college in Dubuque, Iowa. The Association came to perform in Dubuque, and loved the reception they got. They wrote a song about it called "Dubuque Blues." (Despite the title, it was a very positive song-about how much they missed the town!) Always on our playlist at reunions. Loved the group! Thanks for the original post.

On another note: Do you remember Paul Revere and the Raiders? Paul passed away a year ago, but the band still does shows out here in the Pacific Northwest. They also do Caribbean theme cruises, which are always sold out.  Anyway, one of the members of the band is in my YMCA water aerobics class!. My teenage self would never have imagined  I'd be exercising next to someone in one of my favorite groups.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel like I'm back at Prom.  Love it. Heart

Edit: 51 years ago they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.  It doesn't seem possible.

Esteemed Contributor

@Colinka

Of course I remember PR and the Raiders!  Wore all the fancy, "puffy" shirts and Tricorn hats.  Had a crush on Mark Lindsay.  I think what's left of the group came to Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis (where I saw the Association), but we didn't go.

Do you ever speak with the band member at the Y?  

How fun that Dubuque got its own song!  

One thing I know for sure, groups of that time will endure until all of us that remember them are gone.  There is something about getting into that "way back" machine that makes you feel young again.

It's wonderful!

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut

Cherished was one of their most famous songs.  Also Everything that Touches You -- Windy.  They had a very distinct sound -- lots of wonderful harmonies.  I know there are vidoes on YouTube to refresh your memory.

Turns out they were at the 1965 Montery Pop Festival -- I never got to go, but dreamed of being there!

Marvel that they have been at it for 53 years!

Esteemed Contributor

Group was, indeed, fab.  So many wonderful memories come along with the music.

They sounded wonderful and seemed happy to be there.

One of the members, Jordan Cole, is the son of one of the orginal members.  

For anyone in the DC area, they will be at the Birchmere in VA on Feb. 20.  Their Facebook page shows tour dates.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Witchy Womanwrote:

@Colinka

Of course I remember PR and the Raiders!  Wore all the fancy, "puffy" shirts and Tricorn hats.  Had a crush on Mark Lindsay.  I think what's left of the group came to Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis (where I saw the Association), but we didn't go.

Do you ever speak with the band member at the Y?  

How fun that Dubuque got its own song!  

One thing I know for sure, groups of that time will endure until all of us that remember them are gone.  There is something about getting into that "way back" machine that makes you feel young again.

It's wonderful!

I also had a crush on Mark Lindsay. The guy I exercise with is named Ron Foos. If you go to PaulReveresRaiders.com you will see pictures of the current group. Ron tells all of us older ladies about his travels. He just got back from a Caribbean cruise. Has to do water aerobics because he has a bad back from all the travel hes done over the years.( Doesn't have much good to say about Mark  L. I think the band was angry when he went solo.)

I saw lots of groups in the 60's and 70's: Beatles (twice) Simon and Garfunkel, Association, Dave Clark Five, Chad and Jeremy, Righteous Bros., Paul Revere, etc. Love that music era.

Esteemed Contributor

@Colinka

I bet Mr. Foos loves the attention.

I find the backstories of the groups so interesting.  Sometimes, when they are on stage "telling stories" I want to take notes.  Such fun details!

Mark L. has a Facebook page.  I don't belong, but could skim a bit of it. Think I read someplace he no longer tours.

Such a cutie in his day!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman I remember and my favorite is Windy! You can't help but dance around when you hear it...even if you're in your car, LOL. Enjoy, EEL