Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really think overweight people want to be shamed about it?

I'm in favor of treating people with respect, and kindness @Pearlee

Honored Contributor

IF, and this is a HUGE IF,  someone I knew and cared about asked me to say something when they went near food..well, I have done that for some. For others, I refused.  It's something you have to think long and hard about it. 

I know those who are alcoholics and they have asked me to "remind" them when the temptation hits them. Say, when we're at a restaurant or at a party. But I wonder if when alone, if they binge drink to make up for it.... I know I did with food.

Everyone is different. You HAVE to know the person really really well. 

She needs to just stop talking sometimes, you know?

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee my mom used that on me and I can say that it worked.I became almost bones during my late teens and early twenties.When I would eat snacks as a teen my mom would call me lard a ss and fat bottom.As I got older I felt my rear grow every time I ate something?I tried to eat very little each day and exercise a lot.I destroyed my health over this for a time ...didn't believe people who told me I was too thin and couldn't figure out why my size 12 clothing looked so bad on me.A salesclerk said that I would look better in a two and I was embarrassed to try it on because I didn't want her to suddenly see how fat I was.

Honored Contributor

Do you think she would speak to one of her children in such an ugly manner, using such crude language?Woman Frustrated  She could have an overweight child, it happens

Respected Contributor

That really would make me eat more.   I know she looks great now, but has she ever been overweighed?

Valued Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@deepwaterdotter

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

As an overweight individual, I don't appreciate it, but have grown used to it.

I too am overweight, I have had a weight problem all my life!  I guess her stating this and others as well, that if overweight people are shamed enough they will do something about their weight!  It just isn't that easy!  I actually liked her at one time, but I think she has lost her mind!

@Hooty I too am overweight, mostly all my life.  I've been shamed, laughed at, called fat pig to my face, you name it.  Shaming does not force you to go on a diet and join the gym.  Some of the shaming came from my family who thought it might spur me to diet.  It didn't.  The unfortunate thing, IMO, is that overweight people are still the butt of a lot of comedians' jokes.  

Honored Contributor

I used to listen to her when she first started out ,and she didn't seem to be  such a mess back then.. What happened to her??????

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see the show, but I did see a very short clip where she made the statement about her (step?)father and what worked for her, so I'm curious. Was her entire show, which I've never seen, about how fat shaming works for some people or was it just the one comment? 

Honored Contributor

I stopped watching her eons ago.  I don't know.  It might have been, her guest was the same sort of person  @SusieQ_2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@Pearlee my mom used that on me and I can say that it worked.I became almost bones during my late teens and early twenties.When I would eat snacks as a teen my mom would call me lard a ss and fat bottom.As I got older I felt my rear grow every time I ate something?I tried to eat very little each day and exercise a lot.I destroyed my health over this for a time ...didn't believe people who told me I was too thin and couldn't figure out why my size 12 clothing looked so bad on me.A salesclerk said that I would look better in a two and I was embarrassed to try it on because I didn't want her to suddenly see how fat I was.

@dex

I am so sorry you went through that.