Respected Contributor

Re: Do you cover your windows with blankets?

@IamMrsG wrote:

Back in the '60s, I remember my parents applying clear plastic film frame-to- frame to cover the windows.  Dad would use a hair dryer to 'shrink wrap' the plastic for a tight, efficient fit and, for Mom, to make it less visible from the street.  

@IamMrsG - those kits are still available - I used that on my windows this year and it's rather easy to put up.  Yes, you use the hair dryer with these kits also. 

Honored Contributor

I saw those kits in Home Depot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

My grandma did when it was very cold. She  heated with coal. The back rooms were not heated to save money and yes,we dreaded going to the bathroom,LOL. 

I have fond memories, as a child, of visiting my aunt who lived in an old coal mining town in PA, where she and most of all the villagers heated with just a coal stove. The kitchen and parlor were the warmest rooms in the house.  Looking back, it must have been customary to hang blankets over the doorways as my aunt did that as well.  She also had hand made feather quilts on the beds too.  The old stove fascinated me and everything seemed to taste so much better cooked over those glowing coals. I still remember the scent of burning coal wafting through the village when driving down off the mountain into Jim Thorpe, formerly known as Mauch Chunk.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

Who has single paned windows anymore? I do not think they even make them.

Respected Contributor

This thread gives me a whole new appreciation for modern weather-proofing & heating.  I currently live in a 2 year old building, so it's pretty warm.  Thankfully, I've always lived in places where it was plenty warm, despite my dear Dad's complaints to keep the heat down, as well as turn off the lights (back in the 50s & 60s).

Over the weekend, I watched a re-run on PBS of a program I've seen before about Hampton Court.  They brought up the fact that people of the old days (Henry VIII, etc) usually wore 5 layers of clothing because the castle was cold, damp & drafty.  Ugh!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Who has single paned windows anymore? I do not think they even make them.

My guess is a lot of people who are on a tight budget.  Of course they still make them.

Respected Contributor

I am sure many homes have single pane windows..especially if they are older homes without upgrades. I see nothing wrong with them. They sure suited everybod years ago. Now of course there are double/triple panes etc. But not everybody has them.

I like reading all of the tips. Nothing I haven't heard before but still fun to read. I don't have a fireplace etc. We do have a Generator but it is not hooked into the main power box and I always say we are going to do it and time gets away from us and other things come up.

Luckily the path of the storm is missing us..of course just a 50 mile shift and that changes. I hope and pray for everybody in it's path for safety and well being.

Esteemed Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

This thread gives me a whole new appreciation for modern weather-proofing & heating.  I currently live in a 2 year old building, so it's pretty warm.  Thankfully, I've always lived in places where it was plenty warm, despite my dear Dad's complaints to keep the heat down, as well as turn off the lights (back in the 50s & 60s).

Over the weekend, I watched a re-run on PBS of a program I've seen before about Hampton Court.  They brought up the fact that people of the old days (Henry VIII, etc) usually wore 5 layers of clothing because the castle was cold, damp & drafty.  Ugh!

Didn't they use tapestry on the walls of the castle to help with the dampness and cold as well?  I missed the PBS show but it sounds like it was interesting. 

My mom used blankets on the door when we had a blizzard.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

I don't think people were being snarky.  They were just answering the question. Maybe they live where the weather is mild, like I do.  That's the problem with the written word--tone of voice is not detected. 

I'm certain this practice is very effective. Anyway, I was wondering how a blanket is attached over a window. Hang over a curtain rod?

You can most certainly detect tone and attitude in the written word. Some people have no idea what it's like to do without or make do and most certainly look down on others who are not as fortunate. I think you can detect my tone of voice and attitude from that

Honored Contributor

I too have lived through those days!  My grandparents closed off the stairway to the upstairs bedrooms, and their unused dining room.   The oil furnace heated the living room and their downstairs bedroom.   The coal stove heated the back entrance, bathroom and kitchen.  They too had single pane glass in their windows, so the roll up shades were always down, the insulated drapes were always closed, and the back windows were always covered with something extra over the thin curtains.   The only window you could ever see out of in the winter was the kitchen window.   It too had a roll up shade, which went up in the morning, and came down at dark.   

My house has insulated windows and doors, but I like window coverings to keep the heat in during the winter, and out during the summer.   I do cover my basement windows, and use a draft guard under the inside door leading to the basement, the inside door leading to the garage, as well as all doors that open to the outside.