Valued Contributor

How did you meet your spouse/significant other

Someone posted tonight asking for books about meeting the "one".  It got me wondering how everyone in here met their spouse/significant other.   I'll start...

It was 1993 and I had gotten my MBA and was working nonstop as a management/marketing consultant.  I was 26 and wondering how I would find someone to settle down with.    I took a leap of faith and put an ad in the personals section of the Syracuse, NY newspaper  detailing in a few sentences exactly what I was looking for and what I offered to another.   I had about 20 responses to my ad and had dates with about 5.  Low and behold, a college art teacher caught my eye and we've been together ever since (and now living in Atlanta and loving it).

I just read this to him and we had a bonding moment.  He is such a sweetie.

Please share your story.

Super Contributor

Re: How did you meet your spouse/significant other

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you. lol!

Valued Contributor

@Elvita wrote:

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you. lol!

Oh please, could you?  I'm in some serious misery and could use the relief.  We don't know each other in real life, so maybe it could work.  lol   Use the poison pen.

Respected Contributor

I met him through my roommate at school.

He lived in the same college dorm, a few doors down, as her fiance.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

On vacation in Hawaii.

Honored Contributor

My DH was a later in life child and his parents were friends with my grandparents. So we actually have known each other as long as I have been alive. My grandma said we used to sleep in the same crib when we were little - so we still are. We started hanging out with the same friends in Junior high then we started "going steady" in high school, broke up after HS and I was married to someone else, My 1st husband died and my old boyfriend started to just hang around and help me with things, fix stuff for me etc and he was wonderful to me when my stepchildren's natural mother took them from me.I needed a lot of emotional support then - first I lost my husband then a couple years later , my kids. So , long story short, we ended up getting married and on Valentine's day we will be married 33 years. The best thing about marrying your oldest friend is you have no secrets and you just know each other so well, I can practically read his mind. And, of course, we have known each other's families all our lives too, and we still have some of our same friends from HS days. 

Super Contributor

Hi Deb..... Just had to post because I saw your Syracuse, NY reference. Born and raised in Syracuse, now living in a Syracuse suburb. Married to my husband for 26 years this coming February. Met him at 20, didn't get married until 30, but worth the wait. He is also a local boy and we met in a bar. Not a glamorous story, but it's ours!
Esteemed Contributor

I was a sophomore in college and had just been dumped by my first serious boyfriend and was devastated.  After 3 weeks or so, I ran into the sister of this creep and we exchanged greetings.  She was quite nice and mature for a sophomore (her bother was a junior).  She said she had someone she wanted to introduce me to, as in a good match.  Whoa!  Says I, because I had recently read that anyone on the re-bound should just lay back and take stock.  This was in 1967.

Told her I had no interest in any male person whatsoever and, by the way, could she please get my few remembrances back? She said that would never happen, because they were on the back of his room door with trophies from all his other conquests (!!!)   Boy, this really put me back, again.

Except that the next day this sister of the creep was walking in back of one of the huge buildings at this college and was walking with a guy.  She must have been scoping me out because she introduced me to this new guy.  I told him I wanted nothing to do with him, thank you and headed off to class.  He found me the next day, the day after that and on and on.  One day I came up behind him and went "Boo!" and he whipped around and gave me a right into my solar plexus - lost my breath and fell to my knees and then fell over.  What I didn' know was that he had just been discharged from the Army and had been involved in special ops, hence living on a hair's edge.

At semester's end, he did 3 months in Europe on a bike: started in Norway and ended up in Rome.  He wrote me so many love letters, which were expensive to send and in each he said he loved me and that when he returned he'd take me on a fabulous dinner date.

He asked me to marry him in a swimming pool in Santa Rosa, CA, during the Annual Scottish Games,  Two years later we married in "Grace Cathedral" in San Francisco. That was 48 years ago on the 25th.

Honored Contributor

Long post.....

On a cruise ship 30 yrs ago.  He was engaged at the time. peep.gif

The fiance was sea sick the whole cruise & spent most of her time in the infirmary.  We all saw them in the baggage room before & after the cruise.  She did look miserable. Both were first time cruisers.

My 5 girlfriends & I felt sorry for him so we invited him to join us on the various island tours & to the beaches.  He even joined us in the ship's activities. 

Last day of the trip he took our phone numbers to "keep in touch."   And thanked all of us profusly for making his first cruise memorable.

Two months later, he called me.  We talked for hours till the we hours of the morning.  Turns out he broke up w/fiance soon after the cruise & moved from Tampa, Florida to Philly due to "business."

Over the next few weeks, we met for drinks and/or lunch.  Very platonic at least on my part.  Found out later he never did call my girlfriends.  Smiley Tongue

To make a long story short......

One year later, he wanted to take our relationship which I thought was platonic on another level.

I warned him I was not the "commitment" kind as I had no interest in marrying again.  He didn't care.  He liked my style <----his exact words.

Been together ever since.  He is also great friends w/my girlfriends from the cruise.

He did present me w/a diamond engagement ring 5 yrs ago knowing my feelings about marriage.  He has no expectations.  Matter of fact when he presented me w/the ring he told me "now I love your style."

My daughter calls me a simi-cougar because he's 10 yrs my junior.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We met when stationed at the same base in the Air Force. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment