Contributor

Re: Do you bake Christmas cookies?

Never did but granddaughter was interested in baking for years.  She was only 10 when she loved watching the Kitchenaid infomercial and is 12 now.  We've had some hits and misses for sure. Gingerbread houses are a yearly event, cookies and our banana cake are our claim to fame.  Kolaczki are next.  I was recently demoted to sous chef which means I clean up. Love the memories and photos. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U Most cookies freeze well. I would not freeze cookies with jam or jelly fillings but I was considering baking thumbprint cookies and freezing without fillings. Then thaw/filling just before serving.

Nutrolls, pumpkin rolls should freeze well. Poppyseed? Like there's any left to freeze!😉

Double wrap in Saran wrap, airtight container and they should be good for 6 months.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is tradition! Only one kind though- the cutout  cookies that we decorate, my mom's recipe. It is one of the very rare times I bake sweets. I truly love those darn cookies so I only make half the amount. I am glad that we only make them once a year or I'd have to workout twice as hard in the gym! They are one of my few weaknesses.

Honored Contributor

Do I bake cookies?? - I sure do - about 400 dozen each year.  I give away about 30 large cookie trays each year plus what I bring to family gatherings, etc.  I love to bake and make about 15 differemt kinds.  

As for freezing - I have not found a cookie I could not freeze.  I make my doughs and freeze them forming balls and rolling cut cookies out then bake and bake and freeze the baked ones also.  I just run plastic wrap over each layer of cookies and that keeps them from freezer burn.  For iced and jam/jelly cookies I put waxed paper betweein layers.  I then also have some cookies throughout the year I can take when I need something to bring anywhere.  I make a cookie like a thumbprint that has cream cheese icing in the center and for that one I just add the icing when I make the trays.  I also make some with alcohol glaze and glaze them when I need them.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I just got a new pizzelle baker so I am giving pizzelles and cannoli as Christmas gifts to my neighbors and some friends.

I remember making pizzelles with a pizzelle iron over the flame on the stove.  My mother always said that her family had a pizzelle iron that bore her family's crest.  Every time relatives got together the conversation would always turn to: What happened to the family's pizzelle iron?

All I know is this: Making a kid stand at the stove with a pizzelle iron for hours at a time is an Italian family's method of keeping a kid out of trouble.  (And it will help build biceps.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I usually do make them -- sugar cookies, chocolate chip, ginger snaps, etc. This year, too much going on, so I ordered them from a friend who knows someone who makes them.  A little more expensive but it will save me a bunch of time, which I do not have right now!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

No.  Just the two of us and we just go out and buy a treat if we feel like one. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Regular Contributor

I have a 16 year old daughter who LOVES her kitchen aid as well. We gave it to her for Christmas 2 years ago. Thought it was a bit extravagant at the time but I have to say she has told me over and over again that it's the best gift she has ever gotten. I'm not much of a baker but she is and we have spent hours in the kitchen together because of that kitchen aid- worth every penny. 

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

. Re: Do you bake Christmas cookies?

No. I do not eat or bake cookies. I feel so much better after giving that up.

Trusted Contributor

Every year. This year I am cutting way back. No more than 6-7 different kinds and only one is cut-out. I am also making almond brittle, some fudge, and some homemade marshmallows (it's not Christmas morning without hot chocolate and marshmallows and, if you've ever tasted homemade marshmallows, you'll never go back those air-things you buy in the store).

Snickerdoodles (I may turn some into Holli-doodles)

Chocolate Chip

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chunkers

Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs (to make and decorate with the grands)

Peppermint Crunch Icebox Cookies

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

And (maybe) Lemon Spongecake Cookies (simply because I dearly love lemon). Oh, and I've been asked to make the fake Lofthouse sugar cookies again to take into work. So I guess that takes me up to eight.