Honored Contributor

Do the make dogs this small??

Anyone know what breed this is?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do the make dogs this small??

My guess, some kind of designer mutt.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@songbirdlol    Whoever "they" is, they made an adorable dog.  Hope someone tells us the breed.

Honored Contributor

I think they make tea cup breeds of  some dogs. I have also heard they are not very healthy animals, but I don't know this to be true

Honored Contributor

is it a puppy?

Have you ever seen a chihuahua?

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think they make tea cup breeds of  some dogs. I have also heard they are not very healthy animals, but I don't know this to be true

The runt of the litter is typically not the healthiest.  In order to get these dogs smaller and  smaller they breed runts with each other hoping to get small babies. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

snip

There's no single teacup breed, and the American Kennel Club doesn't officially recognize "teacup" as a breed denominator. Rather, many different breeds, including Yorkshire Terriers, Pomeranians, and Beagles can be considered "teacup" if they weigh between two and five pounds and measure fewer than 17 inches in length when fully grown. What's more, "toy" breeds include any pooches weighing less than 15 pounds, so teacups can be considered toy dogs, as well.

It's important to mention: There's a lot of controversy around teacups—especially the breeding techniques used to produce such tiny pups and how these breeding techniques can affect their health. Because teacups are so itty-bitty, they can sometimes experience a host of health issues, including problems with their skeletal and immune systems. What's more, unscrupulous breeders often breed runts of litters to produce tiny—but unhealthy—dogs.

If you're considering adding a teacup to the family, be sure to do your research and work with a reputable, ethical breeder. Doing a little bit of research can be the difference between a healthy, happy dog and an unhealthy dog.

Honored Contributor

No reputable breeder would breed a teacup dog.  They have a multitude of health problems, including skeletal issues.  It is against AKC standards to breed a dog that small.  Please don't consider getting one of these dogs.  There are plenty of small dogs that are healthy.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Whatever breed it is its so darn cute!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Old timers may remember magazine ads selling teacup dogs with a photo of a pup sitting in a teacup.  I have no idea how they could ship those dogs or how it worked.