Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 ID2 said:

The ONLY way to get rid of unwanted calls is not to sign up for the Do Not Call list, its to get rid of your landline phone!!!! That's THE only way! I've had my cell phone only for about 6 years now and haven't received not one unwanted phone call. NONE!! It works!

My landline is hooked into my security system.

Honored Contributor
On 3/4/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 3/3/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 3/3/2015 ID2 said:

The ONLY way to get rid of unwanted calls is not to sign up for the Do Not Call list, its to get rid of your landline phone!!!! That's THE only way! I've had my cell phone only for about 6 years now and haven't received not one unwanted phone call. NONE!! It works!

Unfortunately, a lot of people can't get rid of the landline but I sure would if I could! We have one line that we use for telephoning and the internet, and the other line is used by our security system. Both lines unlisted and private, but that doesn't make a difference anymore.

On my cell phone I was starting to get spam texts a while back and, since I don't text anyway, I had to block texting to get rid of that. My cell phone number has also been on the dnc list since it started. Hope you don't start getting those! It was irritating, to say the least. I don't give my cell phone number out a lot and, even though I've had the same number for 20 years, somehow the spam texts came. Smiley Sad

Hi, chickie! On some cell phones you can block the senders when spam texts come in, and with some of the providers there's a reporting mechanism. I use AT&T, and an iPad and iPhone. I've only received maybe 10 or 15 spammy texts in the 5 1/2 years I've used iPhones, just blocked them and reported them to AT&T (forward them to 7726). And there's an email address to report iMessages to Apple.

They manage to get through to cell numbers, usually, because they're just scrolling through random numbers and hoping to get a response.

Heya dooB! Oh, I understand the mechanics of it, but that doesn't make it any more right. This kind of auto-dialing thing should be illegal.

I don't know if I had the ability to block these spam senders, but it seems like I didn't. Since I don't text anyway it was easiest to just block texting entirely. I'm an oldie and, since I cannot work anymore anyway, I have no need for a smartphone or texting, so I just have my dumbphone with just 200 minutes. I never use anywhere near that many. Smiley Happy

I just have this HUGE sense of right and wrong with stuff like this and I honestly believe that it's so wrong that, especially if you pay more money for unlisted and private numbers, telemarketers should NOT be able to use your phone numbers. For me, that's just a fundamental 'right or wrong' thing. Same applies to soliciting at my door when I have signs up requesting no soliciting and no trespassing. But it's as bad or worse and it irks me to no end. It's not like you can ignore them because they lay on the doorbell and pound on the door. You can't really assume that they aren't somebody who is just casing the joint and will break in if you don't answer.

Respected Contributor
I have caller id and I.just don't answer. Once in awhile there will be a spell where I get a few marketing calls. But they stop quickly. I can't do away with my.landline. Where I live, I don't always get a mobile signal. I do.in town, but not at my house! Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

The last few days we've received a bunch of calls from 1-386-490-8983. I answered the first call and have since blocked it. They were inquiring about my bladder mesh surgery and me joining a class action suit. I assured the man with the heavy accent, he had the wrong person and to remove our number. We've continued receiving calls from the number.