Esteemed Contributor

Do You Use a Rating System for your Books?

I use a star rating system for all the books I've read.

1 star: Don't bother

2 star: It was okay

3 star: It was pretty good

4 star: It was very good

5 star: It was excellent and I want everyone I know to read it...immediately!

Do you have your own book rating system?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Use a Rating System for your Books?

No, I don't have a system, but I wish I'd started doing something like this years ago!

Respected Contributor

I try to but I don't have anything definite. I yours because sometimes if you rate a book 3 stars it is almost like you don't like it when I don't think that is true.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a system, but to me it seems like rating a book a 3 means it's just average. I know that should be 2.5 on a 5 point system, but in my mind if I can't rate a book at least 3.5 it means I didn't like it all that much. I must have a more narrow view of what appeals to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't do half-stars. That makes the system TOO specific. I know what my stars mean to me, so it's all good.

I won't get into all the book lists I keep because you all will make fun of me {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

Yes, SUNNY, I use Shelfari and Goodreads to list my books, and star them with ratings. My stars are similar to yours.
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/8/2014 skyblue said: Yes, SUNNY, I use Shelfari and Goodreads to list my books, and star them with ratings. My stars are similar to yours.

skyblue, I also use Shelfari to list all the books I've read, and use my star system. I knew there were lots of other "star" people out there!

Honored Contributor

I wish I'd kept records and ratings on all the books I've read since I was a teen.
Respected Contributor

On 8/8/2014 sunala said:

I don't do half-stars. That makes the system TOO specific. I know what my stars mean to me, so it's all good.

I won't get into all the book lists I keep because you all will make fun of me {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

no we wouldn't we would find it interesting I start to make lists then I forget about them I have to start a book diary

I also think that amazon should change their rating system to match the one on goodreads

Honored Contributor

It never occurred to me to rate the books I've read. I have't even kept a list. I've liked books but see flaws and blame the writer/editor especially when the book has won an award that I feel is undeserved. But then, like anything else, a lot depends on what the thing or person is up against. If the competition is low grade a rather good becomes a great.