Honored Contributor

I was taught to be responsible and the value of money and how hard it was to earn it, and what part I played in it as a member of the family....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My father would go around turning the lights we left on and he had this thing about the heat.  It went off on May 15th and didn't come back on again until October 15th.  If you were cold too bad, put a sweater or sweat shirt on.

One of things my mother taught me, don't save it for a special occasion or for company.  If someone gave you something, wear it or use it otherwise they wouldn't have give it to you.

My grandmother had a hope chest of stuff she was saving for a special occasion that never came.  When she died it had to be thrown out because it was all dry rotted.

Super Contributor

I feel the same way now and think of other things, like how at times I treated my Mom, and I regret it and have to not dwell on it. It makes me very upset at myself. I was a spoiled brat and didnt know how good I had things or what great parents there were!

Respected Contributor

I am forever thankful to my mother for teaching me how to manage money.  When I got my first job at 18, I started paying $10/week room and board even though my parents never asked for it.  Back then I only made $70/week before taxes but I thought I owed it to them for everything they'd done for me.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Do you remember when you were young and stupid? When your parents bought you things and you lived under their roof. I had no regard for my parent’s money, I left the lights on, I was wasteful, throwing things out, after all it wasn’t my money I was wasting. Then your an adult and start to realize the value of money, how expensive things are, and having to make choices ( case in point I wanted to go to Trader Joe’s but needed to buy my prescription medication, the medication won out so no Tj’s for me). My parents are both gone now, I wish I had the chance to apologize to them for being a brat who didn’t care about leaving the lights on, for the sacrifice on their part to buy me the things I needed.

Your parents loved you and considered providing for you to be their duty. I'm sure they forgave you for brattiness at the time even if they didn't say so. No one expects children to really understand how the adult world works. You only find that out when you get there. I think it's beautiful that you appreciate your parents so much now. And I hope you are able to have fun at TJs soon!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@OhioAngel wrote:

I feel the same way now and think of other things, like how at times I treated my Mom, and I regret it and have to not dwell on it. It makes me very upset at myself. I was a spoiled brat and didnt know how good I had things or what great parents there were!

@OhioAngel don't be hard on yourself. We were kids, I am sure our parents loved us unconditionally and knew we loved them. I took care of my mother in her last years as her health was failing I think I repented for my bad behavior.

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2, I was never young and stupid, just young. My parents had 8 kids and they taught us from a young age the value of a dollar and how to stretch it. We were given what we needed and sometimes those things were in the form of hand me downs, but we always had what we needed. We had allowances (which we did chores to receive, chores that were expected of us and not an option) and that is what we used for things we wanted. We had nice holidays but they were simple and we got one single gift each birthday. We were not spoiled one bit and I am not complaining. To this day, I can hear my dad, who died in 1993, tell me to turn off a light when I leave the room. They taught me about finances and how important it was to pay your bills on time and not bite off more then you can chew. Even as we were pretty young, I can remember them talking to us about those things. So as an adult, these things did not come as a surprise to me and I am thankful for that. I look back on my childhood with fondness but we were not spoiled in any way. And I am not complaining.

Honored Contributor

While my parents were not overly conservative about turning off lights and not wasting , etc,  I grew up  knowing that they could not afford what many others my age had and was ok with that.  After I grew up I now spend and buy what I want since I can afford it and do not worry about turning lights off, using too much water,  heat or buying on the cheap to save money - you can't take it with you!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think our parents knew what they signed up for when they became parents. I doubt if many resent their grown children for typical childhood things. On my dad's deathbed, he grabbed my hand and thanked me for never giving him any trouble. That's not how I remembered it -- but okay, let's go with what he was thinking. I have taken one of dad's lines from my childhood and it worked out so well for me. When kids used to ask me -- When are we going to do this or that -- Can I have --- Why isn't there anything in the fridge, I'd gently come back with: Honey, we're waiting for payday. We try to budget our money and be responsible but this and that and something else happened and we'll just have to wait. Silence.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Guilty!  Although I was appreciative of what little I had growing up, it's not to the extent that it is now.  I'm grateful my parents were conservative and they lived below their means.  That's a trait that I inherited.  Growing up, we had everything we needed and even ate out quite a bit and went on nice vacations but the day to day basics were just that....basics.  I tend to do the same and will splurge on things I really don't need but will bargain hunt for other things and am satisfied with the sale & clearance racks (most times Woman LOL).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown