Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Calling Time & Temperature?

Yes I do.  I wonder if there is still such a service?  I am really dating myself, but I still have a princess phone as one of my landline phones.

Regular Contributor

OMG!  I had forgotten all about calling time and temp.  I grew up in Ohio.  The pool would not open unless the temp was a certain number.  My best friend and I would call time and temp constantly until it was warm enough for the pool to be open and THEN we would call the pool to let them know they were supposed to be open.  We didn't have video games to occupy us so we called time and temp.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Pandalady. I don't understand your post about how calling time and temperature connects to your boyfriend.

@Pearlee   I would call the automated number for the time late at night.  This way, I was on the telephone and when he would call in, I would use "call waiting" to answer him.  This kept the phone from ringing and waking up my parents.  It helped me to talk to him and stay out of trouble at the same time.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Yes I do.  I wonder if there is still such a service?  I am really dating myself, but I still have a princess phone as one of my landline phones.

@stellabystarlight 

That's great for emergencies because even if power goes out you should still be able to make and receive calls...with a cordless landline phone you can't....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Flyer98 and miimosaGood stories!

@Pandalady. 😄 No wonder I didn't "get it." When I was at the age when I'd be doing something like that, there was no call waiting!
Honored Contributor

Thankfully our T&T number didn't have any ads.

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking ours went (no ad) "At the tone the time will be nine o'clock p.m. It is 56 degrees outside. Beep [the tone]"
Honored Contributor

I Googled. You can call for the time the U. S. Naval Observtory Master Clock which gives you the eastern time, but in military time 🙁 1-202-762-1401 Someone upthread mentioned the Observatory. I just called and it worked but it wasn't like the Good Old Days "at the tone the time will be..."