Esteemed Contributor

Minutes after I logged onto the Internet this morning I received a phone call from a friend who saw that I was online; not the site to which I was logged in but simply that I was online!

Through questioning we determined that it had to have something to do with Facebook which I had just reactivated to look at family pictures and forgot to deactivate afterward. The keep me logged in box was on and once I logged onto the Internet Facebook knew I was there. The friend that telephoned is also a Facebook friend.

Once I went into Facebook and deactivated my account my friend rebooted her computer; the other people on her active list were still there but I wasn't which confirmed the Facebook connection. I don't know if simply logging off Facebook would have prevented my friend from seeing when I went online or if deactivating the account was necessary.

In researching this is apparently a new feature of Facebook and Facebook and a number of other sites are sharing a technology to let users know when friends are online. My friend is a U-verse customer.

If you have a Facebook account and stay logged in be forewarned that your mere presence on the Internet may be enough for at least your Facebook friends to know you are online.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.