Super Contributor

Re: Do You Like Practical Christmas Gifts?

I am 71 years old so I don't need or want anything really. There is a local cat rescue in my town that always needs help. My kids and grandkids buy her things off of her Amazon and Wal-Mart wish list for my Christmas and birthday. It's a win win for everyone.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart If I could I would give you a gift. You sound bitter (I know,if I were Dr. Phil I would have a TV show). Be your own best friend (remember that book?) and get yourself a gift. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I prefer practical gifts. Besides, when somebody tries to go the personal gift route, it ends up being something I don't really care for or wouldn't wear, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

No! I don't want a practical gift. That's not fun to get. I can buy myself the practical things I need. I prefer gifts that are fun, luxury, or novel in some way. 

Regular Contributor

100%

Honored Contributor

Yes--I prefer gifts I WANT and not some frou frou novelty thing---candles are my least liked gift--I asked for a new kitchen sink and faucet one year, for a gift from my --thankfullynow,  ex spouse--he got me birthstone jewelry, earrings and a pendant that weren't even my birthstone--and when I told him I wanted to return them---FOR A NEW SINK-----it was like I cut off his arm. This was after several years of marriage too--geez man---get a clue--he never did --hence the ex spouse --but I did get my sink and faucet---

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid I once said "I don't want to squander my Christmas wish on THAT" when asked if I wanted something (can't remember what it was) for Christmas.

I still feel the same way and that's why gift cards are THE best!  You are giving someone their Christmas wish.  Not blowing the chance on something they don't like.  

You may not get the real pleasure of picking something out, but they get the joy of something they want or need.  

Honored Contributor

I prefer gifts that have thought put in them but not effort or hardship on anyone's finances. 

I do like pretty sparkly things for Christmas and my Christmas Eve birthday.  It is a long time to wait for two little bitty days. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I love getting practical gifts. It saves me the trouble of having to buy it myself. I have it at the ready.  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@CalminHeart If I could I would give you a gift. You sound bitter (I know,if I were Dr. Phil I would have a TV show). Be your own best friend (remember that book?) and get yourself a gift. 

@Group 5 minus 1 @CalminHeart Can I say here that to me nothing she said sounds bitter.  She is just saying how it is in her life.  

I have no family left on my side.  Not bitter, but it sure changes things.  So no I no longer have the warm fuzzy relative-filled Christmas a lot of folks have, but I'm happy, thankful, and count my blessings daily.  But Christmas for any of us is not like Christmas for someone else. 

We each deal with it in our own way.