Trusted Contributor

Do You Have a Beautiful Landmark in your Area?

This is the courthouse where I live.  They have built a new Justice Center, but some departments still are housed here.  And, yes, the clock works and tolls the number of the hour on the hour.  I live near enough that if it is a quiet day I can hear the clock tolling.  It's one of the most beautiful courthouses I have ever seen.

COURTHOUSE SQUARE | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Beautiful Landmark in your Area?

@wismiss   That IS a beautiful courthouse.  Sure don't build 'em like that anymore do they?

I live in a Southern coastal town, and our most known landmark is our water tower - located in our downtown district,  I wouldn't call it beautiful though.  I think the Atlantic ocean would get the prize for most beautiful landmark in this area.  Or would that be considered a watermark?  Woman Tongue

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

We have a beautiful, long covered bridge about 15 minutes from our house. It was originally built in the 1850s. When I stop there, I'm always amazed at the signatures in the log book and how far people travel to see the bridge.

Our Visitors Center has a pamphlet that can be used to go on a self-guided tour of all the covered bridges near here. It is especially scenic to go in the fall. Most of these bridges are somewhat small but this one in particular is long.

Honored Contributor

I live in a mountainous area, so Mother Nature built the landmarks......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Westbound Lane To Close For Construction | Anne  Arundel, MD Patch

Our stunningly beautiful  Chesapeake Bay in Maryland...pictured with the notorious Bay Bridge.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

fort mchenry......not only a beautiful landmark, but one that has a special significance for not only baltimore, but all of the usa.

photo via battlefields.org

https://www.battlefields.org/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_item/public/thumbnails/image/WindWatcher_above-ft-mchenry-baltimore-md_22881602461_o_HR.jpg?itok=NoIKgg8j

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

926F5EB9-6B69-42B8-8365-0AAF30DF4CF3.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

See the source image

Independence Hall.

Image result for philadelphia landmarks

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Yes, quite a few.  First settlers in 1608.  The town I live in established in 1670.  Farmhouses, other houses and some buildings that survived were mostly built in the 1700's.  We also have old bridges.  Some listed as Historic Landmarks.  

Tried to post one of the farmhouses, but it's not working for me now.  I can say it's not decorated in today's 'farmhouse' decor.  

Honored Contributor

We have two very beautiful natural landmarks where I live, Pike's Peak and The Garden of the Gods, both pictured here:

Garden-of-the-gods-visitor-center-GOGPikesPeaknoclouds.jpg