Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Have Glasses for the the Solar Eclipse on April 8?

My city is in the edge of totality, so we'll get part of it. I don't have glasses because I don't plan on looking up in the sky.

Schools are closed here, also. The reason could be children getting off buses or the extra traffic we'll getting. The area is prepared in case we lose power, not from the eclipse itself, but from traffic accidents. People might be distracted and run into power lines or posts causing outages. Many don't know how to drive safely,, so I won't be surprised if several accidents happen. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

I was lucky enough to actually see a FULL SOLAR ECLIPSE in1998 onthe Island of Aruba. I was on my annual vacation and had no idea that it washappeneing and that Aruba was the best spot on earth to see it. We were all given special Glasses. Besides seeing it what was happening around us was way more facinating. It became DARK AS NIGHT and it got very COLD. The Birds wer chirping and flying around in circles not knowing what was happening. Then all of a sudden it all went back to normal..Sun shinning and the warmth came back...

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

Schools here in central Florida are closed tomorrow because of the eclipse. No schools anywhere need to be closed for an eclipse but iwe are nowhere close to the path of totality so there isn't even a way to make up a reason connected to it. Something else is going on and we are not being told about it.

Please be careful and watchful tomorrow. 

You aren't serious are you? 

Where I live is not in the path of totality either, and I have heard of some schools being closed because the eclipse will be happening just as kids are getting on buses. I would guess there's fear of kids looking at it and damaging their eyes? Or looking directly at in through the school windows?

For the life of me I don't understand why kids can't just stay in the school buildings for a couple of minutes longer. It's a different time from when I went to school as far as the closings, they close for anything and everything these days.

Frankly I'm surprised that FL would though, considering....

I don't have any glasses, wish I did. Couldn't find them in any stores, and by the time I got around to trying to order from Amazon I couldn't receive them on time.

@Greeneyedlady21  I'm deadly serious. 

Eclipses have, until this one, been great science projects for schools.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

YES I ordered off Amazon a month ago....Near Lake Erie so it's supposed to be total.

I hope my neighbors got thiers too....because when it happens ( the total part) I intend to strip off all my clothes in those few moments of darkness, with only my eclipse specs on, and will revel in my total freedom to be totally free in nature as I cavort about in my rural yard....while blasting the sixties anthem "Aquarious" on my music device.

I'm 68.

They won't look.

Or if they do, well, they STILL have those dark glasses to put right back on to cover thier eyes again!!!

( Hey if the nuts can post thier conspiracy theories, I can dance sans threads....!)

"When the moon.....is in the seventh house.......and Jupiter......aligns with Mars...."

Othereeen will be Dancing in the Moonlight...!!

Honored Contributor

Nope, probably one of the few that doesn't care to see it just like last time around in 2017.

Honored Contributor

Schools are closed because there is a lot of chatter regarding possible terrorist attacks tomorrow. 

Again, stay safe and be watchful. 

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen   I love it! You are more daring than I am. You go girl!    By the way, I love that song.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Schools are closed because there is a lot of chatter regarding possible terrorist attacks tomorrow. 

Again, stay safe and be watchful. 

first time i am hearing that......

our schools are not closed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

It does this every day, yes, but the moon isn't inthe way! LOL

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Sooner 

It does this every day, yes, but the moon isn't inthe way! LOL

@LTT1 Well, it knows not to stay in the way very long!  We have friends camped out in southeastern part of the state.  I have wondered how they will get along.  Not a lot of roads, not a lot of gas stations, and possibly severe weather late today!  Yikes!

Happy to be home!  I figured the eclipse is a great time to start a load of launder or go to bed like the birds!  Woman LOL