Respected Contributor

Do You Hang Anything Special On Your Door For Halloween Night? What About Fall, In General?

We usually have the giant scarecrow head (cute, not creepy) up for the entire fall season. I couldn't resist picking up a special decoration, though, the other day. It's a very lightweight, black, feathered owl (about 1 1/2 feet tall). When you flip the switch, its orange eyes light up and blink alternately. I figured that'd be cute for when the kids come to the door for trick-or-treating.

How about you?

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Hang Anything Special On Your Door For Halloween Night? What About Fall, In General?

Yes.

A sign that says...NO CANDY.

We don't hand out candy on Halloween because a) its too much of a hassle because of the dogs barking and wanting to eat the children...and b) we really don't get that many kids any more...and the kids we do get are bussed around from the outer-lying areas, and are older, and quite frankly..should not be trick or treating.

I don't mean to sound like a scrooge or anything, but Halloween has lost all its glitter a long time ago for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Hang Anything Special On Your Door For Halloween Night? What About Fall, In General?

I love the Fall, but I never liked Halloween.

I have two Full Moon Japanese maples on either side of the brick leading up to my door. As soon as their leaves turn red and orange, I add a silk wreath made up entirely of maple leaves.

I WISH we got more kids for Halloween! Almost everyone in the neighborhood is older.

When my son was young, we went to all the homes...one of our neighbors is the Catholic bishop. He gave my son $5 and all the candy in his bowl. My son was the only kid who went to his door!!!

Last year I had 3 kids. I gave each one a full bag of chocolate minis - Twix, Snickers & 3 Muskateers. They were thrilled!

Honored Contributor

No Halloween decoration, just fall. This morning I went out and bought tricolor mums for the front porch steps. I changed the wreath on the front door from summer to fall.

Valued Contributor

I don't for Halloween but I just put a fall wreath on both doors to be followed with Christmas wreaths, Shamrock in March and a Heart in February. I will put a flower spring/summer wreath on both doors in late March.

I also have 3 lawn flags that are changed with the seasons.

Every perfect gift is from above.
Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 lulu2 said:

No Halloween decoration, just fall. This morning I went out and bought tricolor mums for the front porch steps. I changed the wreath on the front door from summer to fall.

We usually get mums for the steps, too (I do love those tricolor ones), but we have a couple of potted plants we picked up in May that are still going strong. And boy have they "bushed out." Not that I'm complaining.

We may just move them elsewhere so we can add those mums; I don't want to get rid of a still-blooming, beautiful plant!

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

We decorate the whole front porch for Halloween. We sit outside dressed up and hand out candy.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for Halloween, but I do love Fall. I always change my outdoor decorations i.e. Fall wreath, small flag, doormat insert and something beside the door. I do this for the seasons. Inside also.

Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Preds said:

We decorate the whole front porch for Halloween. We sit outside dressed up and hand out candy. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

My old neighbors did that. It was hilarious.

At one time, the house right next door to them was for sale and nobody lived there. They made their son dress up as a zombie and sit on the porch handing out candy. He looked like a decoration.

Honored Contributor

One year the old public school near us was closed and was soon going to be renovated into apartments.

The developer turned the whole place - 2 floors - into a Haunted House for charity. He had theater students from a local college put on scenes in each room.

It was REALLY scary!