Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Embarrass Easily?

According to people that know me ...Never.  Truth is, I can be, but I hide it. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

No, I don't embarrass very easily at all but there are some things that will embarrass me. One is being with a person who is rude. I want to die when I am with a person who treats people (in general) poorly especially those in the service industry like servers, bartenders, hotel staff, etc.. I immediately say something to the person I am with letting them know that talking to someone rudely in front of me will not be tolerated, I don't care who is around. As a matter of fact, I want them to feel embarrassed or ashamed for their actions

It doesn't really happen with people I am close to like friends but it has happened when I was with an acquaintance or someone I work with. I also want to die if that person is a bad tipper or doesn't tip at all. In those cases I add whatever their portion of the tip SHOULD have been and I let them know I am doing it too, so I can embarrass them. Many times they don't even have the sense to be embarrassed though but I do my darndest to try!!!

@Irshgrl31201, I do the same thing when I'm with poor tippers and server-shamers. But I'm feeling annoyance/anger, not embarrassment, because I will not be embarrassed by my behavior, and the other people just pith me off.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Preds could you start a online course to help those of us who are red faced keep it hidden.I hate being so obvious.LOL.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Preds could you start a online course to help those of us who are red faced keep it hidden.I hate being so obvious.LOL.

Jokes, sarcasm and "the look" will usually get me out of situations, @dex.  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

no

Honored Contributor

Not nearly as much as when I was young.  I used to be less embarrassed at work because it was a culture of everyone-for-themselves and who-can-make-everyone-else-look-baddest-so-I-can-look-best. It was like the office was a game and the winner was the one who could make the most people feel the most kwappy. So, embarrassment in that situation became a non-issue for me. Meh. I had good training for these forums 😜

Now? There are random things that will turn my face a bit red now and then, but not much.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I don't think I embarrass easily but when I am embarrassed I feel it profoundly.  I think that's mostly from a childhood with a mother who seemed to get joy from humiliating me in front of others.

If I do something that embarrasses myself, it's probably worse than when somebody else sets out to embarrass me, though.  I think I've become a bit numb to that.  But if I do something idiotic that causes me to feel embarrassed or humiliated at myself, I have a big struggle with that.  (I start hearing that dialog about how stupid, etc, I am)  It's quite visceral.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been a long time since I've felt embarrassed.  When my daughter was little I used to tell her it was important to be able to laugh at yourself, I do that if I mess something up.

But, like @Irshgrl31201 I am easily embarrassed by others, especially treating servers poorly.  

Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

It's been a long time since I've felt embarrassed.  When my daughter was little I used to tell her it was important to be able to laugh at yourself, I do that if I mess something up.

But, like Irshgirl, I am easily embarrassed by others, especially treating servers poorly.  

Oh yeah!  I can totally relate to 'being embarrassed by the behavior of others'.       Been there many times, especially when I lived in Europe and some of the stuff I would see/hear from the 'Ugly American' types was so embarrassing!    Sometimes the way people act towards others can be about as embarrassing as it gets.

Honored Contributor

Has everone had the news on in the last hour or so?  

No need to discuss.