Trusted Contributor

If it's the owner of the buiness, etiquette says you're not supposed to. Depending on the circumstances, I sometimes do anyway.

If it's a server or someone who works on my house (cleaning service) or the people who keep my yard from turning into an overgrown jungle, I certainly do. That's hard work and I'm sure they don't get paid enough. I'd rather tip too much than not enough or not at all.

Honored Contributor

Probably would not tip,but would offer water, and cold drinks.

Honored Contributor

My husband would tip him. He has always been someone who generously tips. For myself, I would tip dependent upon if the job was done particularly well and my husband was at work. 

Honored Contributor
I personally do not tip by a rule book on tipping.... I tip based on the work being done.... and how I feel. When I am paying for a new roof or new windows and the price is in the thousands of dollars... I would never tip. ' But, when I say have a fellow with a small business do hours of yard work with his son.... if I feel they worked really hard and did a nice job... YES I give them a little extra. When I have say 1-800 junk come and move a bunch of junk for me to go to the dump or the like.... I do tip the two guys doing all the heavy lifting. It really depends on the situation and how I feel.
Honored Contributor

No.  If hot offer a cold drink when they leave but otherwise no.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Only if he does something special, goes above and beyond the job.

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Why would u tip before they finish the job? Doesn't make sense to me. 

Valued Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Why would u tip before they finish the job? Doesn't make sense to me. 

@kivah, we tip prior because a little bit of goodwill and kindness goes a very long way.  We have found when we tip PRIOR to the job being done the folks we deal with go out of their way to do the very best job they possibly can. Many, many years ago I was a single (divorced) mom having new bedroom furniture delivered for my daughter's bedroom.  I was the last stop of the day.  Two guys had to hump two dressers, a mirror, a matress, a headboard, footboard, frame and slats up to the second floor (no elevator).  It was, no joke, about 102 in the shade at 5:00 p.m.  As soon as they arrived at my door I offered them water, soda, beer.  These two guys looked at me like I was an angel from heaven.  They said I was the FIRST person all day to ask if they'd like a drink (how sad is that?), which they gladly accepted.  I then gave them each $20.00.  They brought everything up, arranged the furniture and then rearranged the furniture (none of us liked the first arrangement - lol), put the bed together, put the mirror on the dresser for me.  All things that were not required of them.  I think if I had given them the sheets and bedspread they would have made the bed!  But again, kindness and tipping goes a very long way with guys who are not normally tipped.  

Trusted Contributor

We tip. We recently gutted our bathroom and started over. We tipped the guys who installed the cabinets and the floor; they did an excellent job. Then when different guys came in to install the new shower, the new bathroom window, etc. we tipped them, too. 

DH was home when the cabinet installers were working. He bought them pizza once for their lunch, had it delivered. They were appreciative. I also ordered pizza for the shower installers for their lunch one day. We also had cold drinks on hand. 

When the guys came back to install the shower door, I was baking cookies. They each took 1/2 dozen cookies when they left. 

I also wrote a Thank You note to the companies because DH and I appreciated the hard work. It was during those really hot days and we don't have cental AC. They really worked.

The owner of the shower installation company called me and said, "Any time you guys need work done, you call us! We'll be there!"