Honored Contributor

We are by no means rich or even well off, but we have reached a point in our financial life, where we are able to (and sometimes now need to) hire some things done that we cannot. 

We are also able to tip for things like this now, where in many years we were not.

So I play every situation by ear and see what happens. If the work is very demanding (either physically or dangerous, or intricate), if the person is personable, does good work, cleans up extra good, goes the extra mile, I will try and tip.

What they make (many workers don't make as much money as you might think in the contractor business, they work for someone else and often don't get paid a lot), how reasonable the quote is, how timely they arrive, attitude, willingness to explain to us and answer questions we have etc. all enter into it. 

I tend not to tip regular service workers that I know make good money, like plumber, electrician, furnace repair etc. unless there is some reason they really had to go above and beyond.

Honored Contributor

I probably would. I give like 5-10 and tell them to get a 6-pack.

Esteemed Contributor

I never tip the owner but, I always tip the workers ... I am comfortable doing that & that’s all that matters to me. 🙃

Esteemed Contributor

It's unanimous - I won't tip the guy who will be installing 1 shutter. The shutter wasn't cheap. Last year I tiled my stall shower and floor in master bath dressing area/walk-in closet.- and I tipped the guys generously as the work was hard. Thanks for ur advice.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I ALWAYS tip and tip prior to the job being done.  Last year we had new windows installed in an old mid-century modern home.  The installers were shocked when tipped in advance (as are most contractors).  These guys did a phenomanal job and went up and beyond the scope.  The year before we had an old two time shingled roof torn off and a new one put on.  Again, we tipped 4 roofers up front and put out a cooler full of ice cold water, soft drinks and iced tea.  There was not one nail left on our property and the roof is gorgeous.  There's nothing wrong with being kind to those who work hard to make our lives better.  Monday the furnace will get cleaned and serviced.   Danny, who has been servicing it for years (we always request him), will be tipped before he starts and always is grateful and does a terrific job.  

Honored Contributor

IMO, this would not be a tipping situation.  

Respected Contributor

For a simple non-demanding job we wouldn't tip. If it's a long, difficult sweaty job then we would probably tip. Or if they seem to go above and beyond then yes. Many of the jobs we have done around the house are lower paid workmen who work for the owner or contractor. If it doesn't hurt my pocketbook I figure they need it more than I do.

We also offer water and/or soda. Some take it, some refuse.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t tip people who install things but I do tip people who do manual labor. For instance I hired a junk company to take a bunch of concrete and bricks among other things from my back yard. Lots of heavy lifting. 

Esteemed Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

No.  In this situation I would not.