Trusted Contributor

Re: Disturbing: 13 Year old New York Boy

@wildcat fan wrote:

I'm not an insider who can comment on this particular story.  However, I've found that the longer I work in education, the more children I meet who seem to have deep psychological issues.  Every new year brings a larger group of them.  Unfortunately, there aren't enough counselors to make an impact, and most teachers don't have the training to handle the numerous incidents on a daily basis. I've seen some kids spin some outrageous stories about being bullied by other students and teachers when all that really happened was the kids did/said outlandish things then got embarrassed when people took notice.  If a teacher says anything about missing work (or heaven forbid record a zero for that missing work), many kids around here spin the "teacher hates me" story.  All they have to do is pull the bully card and they get their way. It's like a modern spin of the Boy Who Cried Wolf.  Of course, I'm saddened by the number who turn to suicide, but I think it's wrong to assume all problems lie with the schools and to expect the schools to fix all the problems.  Around here I've seen a paradigm shift from schools as primarily academic institutions to schools as primarily social institutions.  It will be interesting to see what our world looks like in 10-15 years.

I can understand what you are saying, especially the part about seeing more and more kids having psychological problems. I understand as opposed to what used to be, teachers are now supposed to be teacher, parent, counselor,etc., and like you said, they are trained to teach, not keep all of the other balls up in the air. 

What we pay here in school taxes is outrageous....you pay a school tax on EVERY bill and school taxes comprise over two thirds of property taxes. Throwing money at schools doesn't seem to be the answer. 

Some don't want to believe that social media has played a role in children's behavior in general, but if that isn't at least part of the reason we seem to be having more troubled children, what is it?  I know there are a multitude of things contributing to it so I am not saying it's a single thing because it isn't. Some may say not having two parents in the home, or not having a parent home when the child comes home from school, or just emotional turmoil in the home no matter what the parental situation is.

I don't have the answers for today's society with it's sundry of changes and how it is definitely affecting our youth.

All I know for sure is many people let that precious little boy down and many more like him.  Sad....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disturbing: 13 Year old New York Boy

@jackiejenny wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I'm not an insider who can comment on this particular story.  However, I've found that the longer I work in education, the more children I meet who seem to have deep psychological issues.  Every new year brings a larger group of them.  Unfortunately, there aren't enough counselors to make an impact, and most teachers don't have the training to handle the numerous incidents on a daily basis. I've seen some kids spin some outrageous stories about being bullied by other students and teachers when all that really happened was the kids did/said outlandish things then got embarrassed when people took notice.  If a teacher says anything about missing work (or heaven forbid record a zero for that missing work), many kids around here spin the "teacher hates me" story.  All they have to do is pull the bully card and they get their way. It's like a modern spin of the Boy Who Cried Wolf.  Of course, I'm saddened by the number who turn to suicide, but I think it's wrong to assume all problems lie with the schools and to expect the schools to fix all the problems.  Around here I've seen a paradigm shift from schools as primarily academic institutions to schools as primarily social institutions.  It will be interesting to see what our world looks like in 10-15 years.

I can understand what you are saying, especially the part about seeing more and more kids having psychological problems. I understand as opposed to what used to be, teachers are now supposed to be teacher, parent, counselor,etc., and like you said, they are trained to teach, not keep all of the other balls up in the air. 

What we pay here in school taxes is outrageous....you pay a school tax on EVERY bill and school taxes comprise over two thirds of property taxes. Throwing money at schools doesn't seem to be the answer. 

Some don't want to believe that social media has played a role in children's behavior in general, but if that isn't at least part of the reason we seem to be having more troubled children, what is it?  I know there are a multitude of things contributing to it so I am not saying it's a single thing because it isn't. Some may say not having two parents in the home, or not having a parent home when the child comes home from school, or just emotional turmoil in the home no matter what the parental situation is.

I don't have the answers for today's society with it's sundry of changes and how it is definitely affecting our youth.

All I know for sure is many people let that precious little boy down and many more like him.  Sad....

I too, believe that Social Media has caused problems for young adults and adults alike.  Unfortunately, in this instance this young man was bullied at school.  The father has a facebook page where he is lashing out at the ones he thinks caused his son's death.

Posting here,is all the social media I do.  No facebook, No Twitter, No Snapchat, None of it.  I have no interest in it.

*Call Tyrone*