Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone else find this a little disgusting......why is it that in beach volleyball the men wear tank tops and shorts to their knees and the women wear skimpy bikinis w/their rears hanging out?  I don't know, I'm old and just don't see the need to exploit women's bodies that way.  The reason I will not watch women's beach volleyball.  Just my opinion, folks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Olympic beach volleyball

[ Edited ]

@Patriot3 wrote:

Does anyone else find this a little disgusting......why is it that in beach volleyball the men wear tank tops and shorts to their knees and the women wear skimpy bikinis w/their rears hanging out?  I don't know, I'm old and just don't see the need to exploit women's bodies that way.  The reason I will not watch women's beach volleyball.  Just my opinion, folks.

As the grandmother of two young girls watching these games, I had the same thought....and yes, I guess I'm old, too!!  But I'm tired of seeing these gals dealing with wedgies!!

Honored Contributor

It seems that, in an international competition, the women should cover up more.  I'm sure there are some participating countries that don't approve of women showing so much skin.  Not that Westerners should always kowtow to their sensibilities.  It's just a matter of being considerate rather than in-your-face.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always wondered about that. I have nieces that are Life Guards at the shore and they were supposed to wear one piece bathing suits and no shirts but the guys could wear swim shorts down to their knees (surfer shorts) and surfing shirts (or a t-shirt which they could remove if they had to go into the water.

The women wanted to know why THEY couldn't wear the same attire and never received an answer. ALL of the guards decided to wear the same thing one day (men and women in surfer shorts and shirts) and never looked back.

One of their sister's plays beach volleyball and they refuse to dress in that uniform. Yes, they have amazing fit bodies but so do they guys and they are covered up, so... why the double standard?

I have yet to read ANY true reason as to why the women are in skimpy suits and the men are in long shirts, tights, long baggy shorts. I would LOVE to be enlightened as to they "why".

Respected Contributor

I'm older too, and I am really tired of looking at women's bottoms (or lack of).  

The beach volleyballl is bad enough, but I really am turned off by the female divers, not to mention the shorter than usual women gymnasts suits - lovely suits, but a bit short in the rear!  Some of the divers might as well have been wearing string bikinis.

Nothing wrong with a little modesty.  Some of the other countries had their female gymnasts a bit more modestly covered, and I think they looked just as goodl, if not better.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed that some competitors choose to wear a t-shirt under the bikini top.  I would be worried about something being exposed when jumping and stretching. 

Honored Contributor

no, it does not bother me and no, i do not find it "disgusting" at all.

they have also been playing in long sleeves and long pants.

Women don’t have to wear bikinis — the uniform guidelines from the Federation of International Volleyball, the governing body of all international competition, allow for many different options.

“The athletes are allowed to wear long sleeves, they’re allowed to wear shorts, tank tops,” Calabro said. “But we’ve gotten a lot of athletes on record saying they prefer to wear a two-piece because there are less places for sand to hide. They don’t view it as swim wear or anything like a fashion statement. For them, that’s their uniform.”

Kerri Walsh Jennings has been especially vocal about their decision to compete in two-pieces. She told The Huffington Post:

“When it comes to beach volleyball, we’re playing in 100-degree-plus weather. I think we’ve just gotta educate the public, take it with a grain of salt and make sure that we’re working hard and not playing up the sex appeal because it’s inherent anyway.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/women-beach-volleyball-bikinis-men-uniform-guidelines-kerri-walsh-je...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Having danced ballet for a professional company I can say that the gymnasts leotards are cut to provide as muchlegroom for the moves necessary-no binding. I'm going to assume the same in diving suits, which are usually produced from some prety hi-tech fiber.

I think the atheletes bodies are beautiful. jmho.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't these ladies get sand up and down their bikinis when they dive in the sand for a ball?

I laughed when the announcer said the German team is in the black uniforms and the Swiss team is in the red uniforms.  Uniforms?

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've noticed that some competitors choose to wear a t-shirt under the bikini top.  I would be worried about something being exposed when jumping and stretching. 

I noticed that, too, but I thought it had something to do with the weather being cooler.....but I'm not an expert in the line of women's fashionable beach volleyball attire!!!  lol.....