Respected Contributor

I called dish 5 times in two days and my husband called one.  It was the 2nd tier customer service that told me they were sending out an antennae that day that never came.  Once I asked for a supervisor and she was rude and was willing to just cancel my service and charge me a $480.00 cancellation fee if I was unhappy.  I am happy for all you dish customers that have CBS.  The point of my post was not to hear the happy reviews of DIsh and to tell me to call customer service which any one with half a brain would do,  but to just warn anymone thinking of changing to Dish to check out the channels you want and make sure they have them so you don't get locked into a company paying for what you don't have.  I would like to spare someone the grief of a company that is so screwed up that they send you an email that they are coming and don't show up.  I don't know how working people handle this.  We are retired with no set schedule and it is still aggravating.

Honored Contributor

If I had to choose a satellite TV provider today then it would not be Dish. In my area that company does not have a very good reputation.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Used to have it too.  We were refugees from Comcast.  First try at it.  Hated it!   Was awful.  After the contract was up, we considered their rival (the name excapes me, LOL)  But by then FIOS cames around, so we switched to them.  FIOS was our first true fiber optic.  The cable went directly inside our basement.  

I've long since stopped watching network TV shows by the way....

@songbird except for Survivor and The Amazing Race neither one of us watch network tv so if they went away because of disputes with the cable company we wouldn't really care.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet  I could be wrong, but I think DISH is almost like a "franchise". Yes, there is one big parent company--but in each area the "service provider" is individually owned. That's why there are so many different opinions. Our service over about 15 years has been wonderful, but a different company provides your service, and may be horrible.

In my area (South Carolina), we are getting all the channels we subscribed to. However, DirectTV (NOT Dish) has pulled the local ABC station from their lineup. Not sure if that has been resolved or not. 

We have lost channels (always temporarily) on occasion because of contract disputes...nothing to be done about that except call DISH and express your displeasure--which I know you've done.

It's my understanding that HBO/Cinemax is gone forever from DISH (don't know about any other providers). We didn't subscribe, but saw notices about getting the HBO App. No clue what that's all about.

Honored Contributor

Just checked my channel lineup with Dish. Fox Sports Midwest says: " FS Midwest has removed this channel". Then the Dish rep gives his speel as to why. Seldom watch that channel so it really has no bearing on our DVR'd shows. It is however in our channel lineup, but not in "my favorite channel" choices.

In Nebraska only 3 miles west and less than a 5 minute drive across the Missouri River to Iowa.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

DH and I have a pay as you go plan with Dish.  We have a portable unit that we take with us camping.  We only have service from May through mid-October and then I cancel it and we restart again the following May.

They are difficult to deal with.  When I restart it in May, it's like I am starting again from scratch. They can't just pull up and verify my information.  Last time they were supposed to do automatic bill pay but something was messed up on their end and in the middle of a camping trip, service was shut off for non-payment which entailed another 30 minute phonecall.

It's nice to have in case we have inclement weather while camping but, if there is inclement weather we have lost service.  They definitely aren't a company I would want for my full-time viewing at home.  

Trusted Contributor

The CBS/NBC outages are due to ongoing negotiations with the Coprorations who own the local stations.  Your local affiliates are owned by larger companies.  For Direct TV and Uverse there is a website we can check, I would expect Dish would have something too.

I have U-Verse and lost our local NBC affiliate on June 1.  Those negotiations are still apparently ongoing (but who really knows).  

The recommendation we were given was to stream what we wanted on NBC, however whenever we attempt to stream a sporting event on NBC we run into nothing but issues because technically we don't have a local channel subscribed to.

As far as cancellation fees.  I canceled Xfinity last year after 10 months when I signed up for a 2 year contract.  They were at our home 6 Sundays in a  row and could now solve our issues.  I was never charged a cancellation fee and made it know that there was no way I was paying due to the poor service we recived.