Esteemed Contributor

I only have a discovercard that I use for my online shopping. Twice recently, I have found an item I wanted to purchase, and the online merchant doesn't take discover. I know I can get a prepaid visa card. My question is however, are more places not accepting Discover?

Last week I had gone to my dermatologist and noticed they don't take Discover either.

Kind of thinking I might need to get a Visa or Amex.

Honored Contributor

We've had Discover for about 7 years. I've only run into one place that hasn't accepted it, my dermatologist's office. They accept only MasterCard and Visa. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@happycat I  have had my Discover card since the 1980s so I know for a fact that a lot fewer places used to accept it than accept it now.  I used to always have to ask whether a merchant took or not, and oftentimes the answer was no.  I haven't had to do that in many years because so many more places accept it now.  

The reason was - at least when I used to get a lot of "no" answers - that Discover charged the merchants more than other credit card companies.  So does Am Ex from what I understand.  So places are more less inclined to take those two cards than others.  Although,as I say, this has changed a lot since the 1980s.

I love my Discover card because it has a program like Ebates and Mr. Rebates where, if I link to a site through Discover Deals, I get rebates back.  In fact, my Discover card gives 5% back on QVC purchages, although per the terms you  can't use EZ pays or autodeliveries - you have to charge the full amount of the purchase from the get-go. But Discover Deals are good lots of places.

Contributor

I also have run into some stores that do not take Discover and when I asked why they explained to me that their Merchant fees are more than Visa or MasterCard.  Those stores have to pay a percentage or more to provide Discover services and thus elect not to offer Discover charges.

Honored Contributor

Don't try to use Discover in Canada either.  They never heard of it and don't know what you're talking about. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your replies. Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. Thanks for the heads up as to why this is, too.

I think its time I look for another card.

Respected Contributor

I don't use my Discover card that much, but do know that their merchant fees are pretty high. Friends of mine own a resort in Florida and the only credit cards that they accept are VISA and MasterCard. The merchant fees for Discover & AMEX are, in their words, "outrageous". 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I love Discover cards points program and also their 5% cash back Discover Deals program. 

I have an American Express also and a Visa and the points are better on Discover. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Chase Freedom Unlimited pays 1.5% cash back on ALL purchases. I love it.Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

The way around that is to have a paypal account, then you can use whatever card you add into your account.