Esteemed Contributor

Re: Difficult school subjects.

Math was my least favorite subject.  I use a calculator when I reach the point of having to use my fingers. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl   I could have written your post!  I can remember my dad tutoring me in math.  He had been a physics major in college so for him math was easy but for me ...forget it!  I felt so stupid and barely got by.  Even today I need a calculator to do basic math!

Trusted Contributor

@J Town Girl 

Chemistry! Although some of the math courses weren’t my favorites I just couldn’t grasp chemistry. I think it was the teacher- she was an odd one. Both my sons were valedictorians & aced every class, including chemistry. They went on to be pharmacists so I guess it’s safe to say they actually liked chemistry...

Esteemed Contributor

Algebra

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think math is hard for everyone. When I was in the 10th grade ,I had such a poor math teacher, everyone flunked his final exam, so ,he had to grade on class curve

He never taught anyone a thing. He came into the room adjusted the window shades took roll ,and gave us our assignment ,and left ..He was a terrible teacher

Honored Contributor

Algebra.  Even with the help of a tutor, I barely got by and barely passed the Regents.

It was the last math class I ever took.  Once you got to 11th grade, math was no longer a required subject.

Esteemed Contributor

History, Government, Civics.....those topics bored me to tears so comprehending and retaining what I read was extremely hard.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Math, all of it.

When I was in elementary school, like 3rd or 4th grade, they switched us to the "new math" and I never recovered. 

In high school, geometry was the worst.  I didn't understand any of it. Proving theroms, protractors, the whole thing. I totally didn't understand the point. And I really, really struggled with it. 

In college, I only had to take one quarter of math.  For reasons that I'll never explain I chose statistics because it was a "one and done" math. Would give me enough credits so that I wouldn't have to take a second class.  My eyes glazed over in that class.  I took it 1st quarter my freshman year to get it out of the way,  I got a C in the class and my entire family cheered.  

Interestingly enough, I worked as a bank teller when I got out of college, for a year. Then I switched to financial services, commercial lending, and worked in that field for 37 years.  Lots of practical math and accounting there and, To be honest, I was terrific at what I did.  Go figure. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Gym. In Jr High we had a swimming pool. And school issued swimsuits that seemed to have been designed by very cruel people back in the 1920s. It was coed. Separate sides of the pool, but still coed. Most anxiety inducing experience possible for an adolescent. I preferred math.

Just having to go up and publicly get your correct swimsuit size was a very big deal among us girls. You could choose red or navy. But red became partly see-through when wet, so everyone always picked navy. And the suits smelled like bleach, because you handed them back after each wear. It was just the worst thing ever. Oh and they both shrank and bagged in the derriere once you got them wet. The boys loved watching and providing commentary the whole time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I was very good at what we called "general math"...addition, subtraction, etc. and can still do a lot of that stuff in my head. Didn't like "new math" because I just didn't see the point of having to show every step...I knew the answer, I wrote down the answer that was enough for me! The only class I ever failed was algebra, I just couldn't grasp it...and still don't see the point in it.

Gym was OK as long as all we did was exercises...any kind of sport was torture for me, as I don't have an athletic bone in my body and am not very coordinated. I did find out many years later the reason for a lot of my issues--I have very little distance or depth perception. It sure did explain a lot when a nurse at the company I worked for told me that!