Honored Contributor

Re: Difference between being laid off vs fired

@haddon9 wrote:

A laid off employee can also get unemployment compensation while a fired one usually can't. 

Actually, @haddon9 

It depends on the reason they were fired.

I hired you as a mechanic.  You broke more than you fixed and had NO idea what you were doing.

I fire you, you CAN collect UE.

It isn't your fault I hired you for a job you weren't qualified for!   LOL

Theft,  absenteeism, insubordination etc are usually the reasons UE is denied.

But just because you stink at your job, is NOT a reason to be denied UE.

However, you can appeal and MANY times the employee wins.

We had a Supervisor walk out, no notice.  Texted he was starting his own business.

Never materialized, UE denied, then approved upon appeal.  SMH.

Honored Contributor

I have to disagree a little....I don't see anything wrong with posters wanting to express their views and opinions on Dan and Carolyn's departure.

I don't think they have to 'give it a rest', 'get over it,  or have 'ad nauseum' replied to them.

Many new posters have come for the first time to the boards to state their views on the layoffs...we all have that right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reilley wrote:

I copied this definition from the web:

A severance package is the final pay and benefits that an employer may give to an employee at the end of their tenure with a company. While a laid-off employee is more likely to get severance vs. an employee who has been terminated, the severance options vary by employer.

Sometimes the severance package offer is based on a formula, i.e. age and the number of years the employee has worked for the employer to qualify for a severance pkg.  Keep in mind that people can volunteer for a severance pkg as long as they meet the qualications the company has offered.

if Carolyn and Dan are so thoughtful of their fans maybe they can (if not already) put a clear explanation on their FB if they were fired (we don't need to know why) or laid off.  l liked both Dan and Carolyn (not the squirrel) and both were experienced Sales people.

AGAIN  SALES PEOPLE!  No need to respond to my comments as I am almost sure I won't like them.  BTW I have been purchasing from QVC for over 35 years.

@Reilley 

"If Carolyn and Dan are so thoughful of their fans" .... they should give a "clear explanation" .....   

OMG, seriously?  Woman Surprised

We are QVC viewers or customers.  I doubt many are "fans" of sales personnel ....  but you never know.

Here's the short version:  Carolyn and Dan used to work in Sales for QVC.  They don't work for QVC anymore.  Why they left and the specifics ... are really none of your business.  

Why would you think you were entitled to know that personal information, or they should post it on social media, anyway? 

Seriously ... It's none of anyone's business!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 72 & early in my work days an employee was hired & fired, laid off meant there was a good chance you would return to the company when business picked up. Then fired got associated with workplace violence & it changed...my funniest firing was when I was called to the office & told I was DESELECTED & what a great opportunity I was being given to find a better job...I laughed & said, You're firing me with happy talk & my boss nodded yes.

Contributor

I found this forum after the departure of dan and carolyn.
It was the reason I posted here, not gonna lie. I think it's time to move on from that. It's only my opinion but I feel it's the beginning of the end for Qurate, those 400 or so employees are probably saddened at their dismissal but are lucky in a way to be out of the company before the whole thing comes apart.
Honored Contributor

I feel sure the 2 hosts were contract employees so their severance package was bigger than most due to whatever had been negotiated into their individual contracts.  

I've seen multiple administration level employees walk out the door with a six figure check in their hand when they were terminated.  Their contract had specific clauses regarding termination and severance details; they are not allowed to talk about specifics of their departure, period.  

Honored Contributor

I was laid off - yes I had unemployment - yes I had severance (it was not a lot)

it was still devastating- i was there for 18 years  - 

Honored Contributor

If I am going to shop with any retailer, I want to know how they treat their employees. 

It is important to some of us how Carolyn, Dan, and all the others were chosen.  

For me, it's not only products that are offered, it's also policies and how the company is run.

Those who want to shoo issues away, claiming it's time to move on, this is how everything is handled in this country.  A few days of jumping up and down, then some come along telling everyone to shut up. Move on. Those who want to continue talking about these issues clam shut to get others off their backs.

No wonder very little improves.  Change for the better only arrives after a lot of people continue to speak up.  

Contributor

Guess I hit a nerve to some people here but it certainly wasn't my intent. I really do feel each of them were done wrong by this company. It probably was devastating to each of them. Maybe we can hope that somewhere along the line the Qurate big shots will take our opinions into consideration.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh good grief, obviously they weren't fired.  Lol.   They were layed off due to a reduction in force and their severance package is their business and no one else's.  Carolyn and Dan have moved on, you should too.

yes, they have moved on, but DAN specifically used the word TERMINATED.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein