Trusted Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

@Shanus..........OH MYYY.  I loved your post.... as my daughter is currently at university and she is majoring in art education and english. 

Im so happy that you pursued you art and are such a success. 

You artsy people, like my daughter and you, are unique in a very special way, the way you approach life, and live in the beauty of it all.

I applaud your craft,,,,,and happy your ART has been your life...!  LUCKY LADY !

Honored Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

@jlkz, I'm really impressed.  That's been quite an adventure! I'm sure you helped many along the way.

Honored Contributor

Much better than I could have imagined.  Was reared in a lower-class neighborhood, but worked my way to success, safety, and comfort.  My employer paid for all the college expenses to my BA degree, and then offered me a more lucrative position within the company.  Retired with no mortgage, some investments, a small pension, and good health insurance.  And married a generous, patient, and loving partner.  Life is Good!   

Respected Contributor

So far, things are as I wanted.  I knew at seven years old I wanted to be a flight attendant.  I love to travel and see new places.  Never been married, but never have been bothered one way or the other about that.  Always known that I didn't want kids.  My "babies" have four legs.

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

@Shanus..........OH MYYY.  I loved your post.... as my daughter is currently at university and she is majoring in art education and english. 

Im so happy that you pursued you art and are such a success. 

You artsy people, like my daughter and you, are unique in a very special way, the way you approach life, and live in the beauty of it all.

I applaud your craft,,,,,and happy your ART has been your life...!  LUCKY LADY !

@Skididdy  I appreciate your thoughts. Best of luck to your daughter. It is a beautiful world. It may to be dark day to others, but we try to see it in colors.

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

Yes, turned out different than I had thought. 

I thought I would be standing in a classroom teaching our youth, but instead I graduated from a 2yr college, went into business and to this day...I HATE IT.

Other than that, I always wanted children and a loving husband.  I have both..2 fabulous unique beautiful daughters and a hubby that rocks my world in the very best ways. 

BUT CAREER PART.........UGH...SOME BAD CHOICES ON MY PART, SO NO CLASSROOM FOR ME ...MY FAULT ALL THE WAY....WAY TO OLD AND WORN OUT !!!!!  Maybe in my next life.

I believe we expect things one way, but the Lord directs us into the life and light in which he feels we are best suited and will thrive.  So we leave it up to Him and take each blessed moment and approach it with grace.

@Skididdy  I’m sure you taught your daughters many important lessons in life, so all was not wasted. 🤗

Respected Contributor

Doesn't everyone's? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My  life after highschool was  going pretty much just with the flow... I did not  do the things expected of me never took all the tests for college... never went to college...... rather I traveled  to many different states and cities...and took jobs here and there for  the years 17-24 just meeting new friends and  acquaintances.... up until I met my soul mate  40 years ago and continued my life flow with him.  Up until that time  I guess I lived a gypsy life.

In High school I had no dreams of what I wanted to be.  So I took whatever came my way after high school..... Perhaps that is a good thing as I  was never bored and never "stuck" in one place for long. I just would just    get on a train or bus( how I traveled back in the 1970's)  and get a one way ticket to wherever I pleased... get a job.... get an apartment... and start living again.   I moved many many times and always had great experiences!

Of course back then the world was different and it was easy to get a job and a place to rent... it was not so difficult like it is today.   And I think it was a bit safer for a 17 year old to be traveling and living alone in a strange city.  I had a few scary experiences with people... but it seemed I was always protected somehow, and my street smarts always prevailed to keep me from danger.

I feel my life turned out quite well.  And as expected and maybe even better!   I chose to be child free. And today I  still feel that was the right choice for me.  I like my freedom just as I did as a young adult and do not like to be tied down to anything.  

Respected Contributor

yes...but I am lucky to be alive...

Trusted Contributor

I never thought past getting married to my high school sweetheart and getting a job when I graduated from high school.  Here I am at the same company 43 years later but with a different husband!  I wouldn't trade the four times I've been married, but I do wish I'd met my current husband earlier in my life.  We've been married 14 years and he's the love of my life and my best friend.  As a result of being married so many times and not ever feeling comfortable having children, I missed out on that, but I'm OK with it.  I have two stepchildren and six grandkids to fill my life plenty!