Honored Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

I never had any specific expectations. I always wanted to enjoy each day of living and have a career that allowed me to be able to take care of myself. I had that and so much more. I always felt that with expectations came regrets and I didn't want that. 

Super Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

Fun topic, thanks! I was reared to get my “Mrs.” degree (get married) in college. I met my first husband when we were in high school. Married after 2 yrs. of college. My car ran out of gas in front of a print shop, and when I went in to use the phone, I met the owner who later offered me a job as his office manager.

I did that until his previous office manager wanted her job back after a baby, and I was shuffled off to the art department. Loved the work and bullhockeyed my way into a few graphic design jobs until I ended up at an ad agency. Did art school at night and then stared my own design shop and have been successful and very happy with that work and the constant changes and learning needed to keep up.

Meanwhile, I ran my car into a pole and began making jewelry out of the fiberglass pieces, along with other found objects long before that kind of thing was fashionable. I have had tremendous fun with this, gotten lots of local notoriety, and expanded into metalsmithing and other jewelry making for relaxing hands-on antidote to computer design.

So I like to say I’ve been “driven” in my career - cars played a big part. And of course, God, or fate, or higher power, making sure I was in the right place at the right time to express my gifts and talents.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my life has turned out much differently than I would have liked for it to.  Thought the "Golden Years" were supposed to be good.  Didn't expect I would be battling Melanoma cancer.  That has been almost 4 hears now.  Was on OPDIVO imminual therapy all this time....and am now scheduled for radiation treatments starting next Friday.  There will be 4 very aggressive treatments.....1 for every 4 weeks.  That treatment will be as potent as if I were getting one for 5 days in a row.  Have no idea how I will feel after each treatment, but they told me I will be extremely tired.

Up until I got this mess, I was living a pretty good life.....

Super Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

Yes, my life has turned out much differently than I would have liked for it to.  Thought the "Golden Years" were supposed to be good.  Didn't expect I would be battling Melanoma cancer.  That has been almost 4 hears now.  Was on OPDIVO imminual therapy all this time....and am now scheduled for radiation treatments starting next Friday.  There will be 4 very aggressive treatments.....1 for every 4 weeks.  That treatment will be as potent as if I were getting one for 5 days in a row.  Have no idea how I will feel after each treatment, but they told me I will be extremely tired.

Up until I got this mess, I was living a pretty good life.....

Prayers coming your way for complete healing... I had a small melanoma removed from my face.. Thank God it was contained.. I truly feel for you & I will pray for strength & healing during your treatment.. Prayer is powerful!!! 

Honored Contributor

In some ways it did.  I loved teaching so much, that I used to sit my little sister down and "teach" her!  My family owned the largest fine shoe store in town.  He would speak to me about being a secretary.  He definately didn't suggest to me to stay home, even though I grew up during the 50's.

In school I read everything I could get my hands on all the way through school.

With my parents divorced, I never wanted to get married.  I didn't want children either.  (I felt totally different in my late 20's.).

When I was a junior in high school, I had a dynamic young teacher.  I absolutely adored her.  I looked at her and thought "Right there is what I want to be.".  (Her husband ended up being in the NC House of Reps, and eventually she ended up as our youngest son's guidance counselor.)

I went to college and there was a young professor in my major that I was close to. She was so smart and talented as well.  I met my husband there.  He was a five dollar bet with his "little sister" from his highschool!  I got pizza that night instead of fried chicken liver at the cafeteria! 

I taught 37 years and wrote curriculum for the state.  I loved everyday that I got to teach.  I'd do it all over if I could!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yep. At a young age, instantly, I became a type 1 diabetic. Life sometimes just isn't fair. 

"Pure Michigan"