Honored Contributor

Re: Did you wear a POW bracelet?

I did.  Lt. Nicholas Brooks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was surprised to learn that the U. S. Army is still actively searching for POWs and bringing them home.

My manicurist's BIL was born of a Vietnamese mother, American father, and was brought to the U.S. at age 12.  He became a citizen and is now career Army.   He is in the unique position to conduct searches in Vietnam and has a rather impressive recovery record!   He knows the language and dialects and seeks out not only old timers in the populated areas, but in remote villages.  He can get information from people who would never talk to a caucasian Army official.     In some cases he doesn't reveal his military affiliation.  

His purpose is to follow up on both stories and rumors about captivity and burial, all with the sole intent of recovering and identifying U.S. military and bringing them back to the U.S.    All I can say is God bless him and the work he is devoted to!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 I'm 66 and I too never heard of wearing a POW bracelet during the Viet Nam War. I wrote to soldiers during the war, but no bracelet.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading the posts here I went and pulled mine out of my jewelry box. 

Mine is the same name as @faeriemoon. Lt. Nicholas Brooks. 

I went and searched for him on the site provided here. 

He was on on a mission and shot down. He was in a POW camp. It states he did escape 3 times. However was recaptured and did not survive. His body was returned to his family. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@151949 I'm 66 and I too never heard of wearing a POW bracelet during the Viet Nam War. I wrote to soldiers during the war, but no bracelet.

@blackhole99, I had posted this earlier today..

http://www.thewall-usa.com/bracelet.asp

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

Yes I did.  It was a silver metal band engraved with the name of Sam Johnson -- he later became the Congressional representative for my district in Texas. I once wrote him a letter to let him know that I had worn his POW bracelet during his imprisonment in Vietnam, but I never heard back from him. That kind of soured me on him, as he makes such a big deal of his military service. I think he's retiring from Congress soon -- he's in his 80's now.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Yes I did.  It was a silver metal band engraved with the name of Sam Johnson -- he later became the Congressional representative for my district in Texas. I once wrote him a letter to let him know that I had worn his POW bracelet during his imprisonment in Vietnam, but I never heard back from him. That kind of soured me on him, as he makes such a big deal of his military service. I think he's retiring from Congress soon -- he's in his 80's now.

Wow, @LonestarBabs, that would have annoyed (and hurt) me, too :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

interesting thread......

i did not wear one and i have never even heard of them until i began reading this thread.

I wonder how old you are? Almost everyone wore them during the Viet Nam war.

i am 54.

I'm thinking you were too young to understand about POW/MIA .

Honored Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

After reading the posts here I went and pulled mine out of my jewelry box. 

Mine is the same name as @faeriemoon. Lt. Nicholas Brooks. 

I went and searched for him on the site provided here. 

He was on on a mission and shot down. He was in a POW camp. It states he did escape 3 times. However was recaptured and did not survive. His body was returned to his family. 

@lenapecci  Thank you for this information.  I never found on any of the websites I checked any information about him.  My bracelet broke in half years ago and I had put it away somewhere.  I always remembered his name but didn't remember the other information on the bracelet.  We recently moved, and I found the bracelet and put it in a "safe" place; so safe it seems, that once again I can't find it.  

Super Contributor

I wore a POW braclet with the name of Cole Black.  I watched him get off of the Plane when the large group came home.  I wrote him a letter and sent him my braclet and he wrote me a wonderful 2 page letter thanking me and everyone for not forgetting them.  He also sent me a picture of Himself, his Wife and two sons.  I still have it in my safe. 

Sorry Mr Johnson wasn't as thoughtful.