Contributor

I just watched the Eminem commercial that aired during the Super Bowl that featured the new Chrysler 200. I have to say it was really well done. It's nice to see how loyal he is to his roots and I'm hoping this kind of exposure will bring that city back from the brink. From what I can see while watching it is that it is a lovely city. I almost want to move there because I'm predicting eventually it will be "the" place.

Here's to hoping that the city and people of Detroit, MI rise up.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I  love near Detroit. Don't be fooled. What you see are the only good things. A mile outside downtown Detroit looks like a war zone. I went by my childhood home. It was one of the only houses still standing. My friends homes are gone. I went past my school and the school isn't there. The school is closed and they changed the church into something else. It is very sad. We were even told to lock purses in the trunk of the car to go see my uncle and grandparents at the cemetary. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Detroit, MI

[ Edited ]

The town is coming back to life again. The neighborhoods are not. Many houses need to be torn down and crime is still a big issue

They are doing it the best they can, but it is expensive, and I don't know if they will get any Federal money to do this?

There are many entrepreneurs/ businesses springing up, and new building is occurring. It isn't going to happen overnight. It is a tremendous undertaking. Many  houses have been torn down. I have been told they are going to reforest the area  as they go.

People do go into the city, for entitlement  and dining.  I think the people are very heroic. They have a decent mayor ,who is doing his best to rebuild. Detroit has suffered a lot. I am rooting for them

They are restoring the old churches as they are able. I know this, because I go on church pilgrimages to Detroit

One historic church even went to Italy, and brought a priest back, because there was not any available to say mass  there

People are working together to make things happen. I am proud of them for rebuilding

Honored Contributor

Yes downtown Detroit is coming back with a vengance!! Slowly its looking so fantastic I'm proud to say! I've lived in the suburbs my entire life and moved up north 3 years ago. My kids visit downtown all the time. Greektown is awesome! Restaurants are fantastic in the downtown area! They are making some great choices in the renovations they are doing. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

The OP is from 2011.

Honored Contributor

@riley1  someone probably pulled it up, just so they could say something insulting about Detroit

Honored Contributor

Isn't Kid Rock from Detroit and doesn't he do things to help revitalize the city? I just thought I remember reading this awhile ago, I haven't googled it to check.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

The OP is from 2011.

Thank you, missed that!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Detroit, MI

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

The OP is from 2011.

Thank you, missed that!!

@qualitygal@riley1@cherry

Seems the relatively new poster had to search long and hard to find this old, old thread ... to what end, I wonder?

Esteemed Contributor

@SoX - That is for sure! Too much time on their hands?