Honored Contributor

A big, nasty Derecho moved in on South Dakota and Minnesota.  Winds were 100 miles per hour.  It's moving East.  

Derechos are worse than any tornado.  Straight line winds.  They are very rare.  From the Midwest to the East, they happen.  They don't happen in the Western States.  Here's what it looked like.  We have storm in forcast for tomorrow.  Hope we don't get.  May is the season for them.

derecho.jpg

Frequent Contributor

Re: Derecho.....they're back

We had one in Eastern Nebraska last December.  We are a farming family and had damage to 3 pivot irrigation systems, lost a grain bin plus damage to 2 others, had a building blown down with a 60 foot section roof still intact plus damage to siding on our house and we are scheduled to have the roof replaced on our home.  I think there is so much focus on metropolitan areas during storms (and I understand due to larger populations) but rural areas also get hit which not only includes clean up over a wide area, plus limited availability of parts due to covid and everything else going on in the world.

Honored Contributor

They're called HABOOBS in the western states.

Valued Contributor

How frightening! Didn't know anything really about a derecho. They make my experience with Arizona "haboobs" (dust storms, as they were called when I was a child) seem almost minor as we only have the unbelievable dust, not that extreme wind. The intensity and frequency of our dust storms does seem greater in the past few years. Thanks for posting this.

Enormous haboob dust cloud 2,000 feet tall covers the city of Phoenix and  cuts power to 9,000 homes | Daily Mail Online

Arizona "haboob"

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

A big, nasty Derecho moved in on South Dakota and Minnesota.  Winds were 100 miles per hour.  It's moving East.  

Derechos are worse than any tornado.  Straight line winds.  They are very rare.  From the Midwest to the East, they happen.  They don't happen in the Western States.  Here's what it looked like.  We have storm in forcast for tomorrow.  Hope we don't get.  May is the season for them.

derecho.jpg

This picture is unbelievable. It is so ominous. We had what was determined to be a derecho a few years ago. It did a lot of damage. Thankfully it was not in my direct area.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tornadoes are the ritual almost all state now go through (thanks to global warming)  The warmer the ground air, the worse it will be.  Derecho (it means Straight Ahead in Spanish) are rare compared to tornadoes. What make them worse, is that they are several Storm lines deep.  They appear in a straight line, then billow out.  Only storm that ever scared me.  I remember the thunder was so strange.  Sharp bangs instead of rolling thunder.

Chances of occurring

Honored Contributor

Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

This is the first time i heard of these.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We had a derecho come though here in my part of the metro-DC area a few years ago.  Was without power for days due to all the damage caused by the straight-line winds.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest Not too many people have even heard of them.  But we've always had them.  A friend of mine told me they aren't that rare, but the intense conditions of storms over the years have made them more and more powerful.  As the climate is growing warmer and warmer over time, we'll see more and more of them.