Trusted Contributor

Last week my 14 yr. old coc ker spaniel developed horrid breath. Took her to the vet and they scheduled her for surgery next Wednesday. She won't let anyone look into her mouth but since she stopped eating her solid food along with the halitosis they suspect one or more bad teeth. I adopted Chloe 9 years ago when she was about 5 years old, found wandering the streets of a big city and the probable victim of abuse. She still does not like men who she does not know so she will be a handful for the doctor. Because of her age I am really apprehensive about her being put under anesthesia. It will be a very stressful day for the both of us {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

Having my dog put under anesthesia always stresses me out, too, so I understand completely. The drugs that they use now are very safe, though. I'm sure everything will be all right. It sounds like she definitely needs to have this dental. Let us know how it goes and what they find.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

New Contributor
My 20 year old cat underwent dental surgery. She had to have 2 infected teeth pulled. She healed quickly even at her age. If it hadn't been necessary we would not have done it. Once they stop eating, they must be in so much pain ; something we never want as pet parents. It is stressful for us, but necessary to help them. Hope your cocker gets in and gets it done asap. She'll then be back home with you being well taken care of.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it. I know it must be done, it's just that I'm nervous because of her age. Though I must say for 14 she really hasn't slowed down and chases the squirrels away from the bird feeder every day. She's really a nice little girl - unless you are a tall thin man, then enter at your own risk. Thankfully her doctor is a short female {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I agree with NickNack that there are more and better drugs to be used these days and if your pups bloodwork looked good it's the thing to do. If your fur friend is not eating something Has to be done. While she's asleep the Vet will be able to do a more thorough mouth exam then she could with your girl awake. I will keep good thoughts for her on wednesday!

Trusted Contributor
On 4/4/2015 candys mine said:

I agree with NickNack that there are more and better drugs to be used these days and if your pups bloodwork looked good it's the thing to do. If your fur friend is not eating something Has to be done. While she's asleep the Vet will be able to do a more thorough mouth exam then she could with your girl awake. I will keep good thoughts for her on wednesday!

Thank you Candys mine. They will do the blood work prior to putting her out to make sure she has no other problems. I have to muzzle her when she goes for her checkups and therefore the doctor wasn't able to look into her mouth. Thanks to the antibiotic the bad breath is gone although it is a real experience trying to get her to eat the medicine. I've mixed it with peanut butter, pumpkin and wet food and I swear she sniffs around until she can find the non medicated part. The little stinker may be old but her sense of smell is just fine {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}.

Honored Contributor

Chlemma, get a tub of honey butter and put her pills in it. My dog started refusing his pills in Pill Pockets, so I switched to honey butter and he looked forward to them. He would actually come and get me when it was time for them. Land o' Lakes makes honey butter in a tub. You don't have to use much.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Good thoughts for a movie star smile when Girly gets home!

Respected Contributor

When I picked up my precious American Cocker Spaniel at the no-kill shelter to bring her home, I was told that she had to have 13 teeth extracted due to a myriad of issues. She was pregnant when the rescue org found her and surrendered her. So they had to wait for her to give birth to proceed with oral surgery. I cannot imagine being in such pain and giving birth. She was, at the time, 11 years old and came through like a trooper.

Bless you for taking such good care of your fur baby. She will appreciate being able to eat and being pain free. I will send loving thoughts for a speedy and full recovery.

Keep us posted.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone. I opened a new post with updates. They were unable to do the surgery because her platelet count was low. She is on steroids for a week, then another blood test. She is eating, just not anything hard.

Chlemma