Trusted Contributor

Re: Delta Burke

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow

I clicked on the video that someone else posted -

It's not the Mary Beth one -  I didn't see that.  However, if you watch/listen to the posted video, you will hear Delta Burke say (through tears) that people wrote some unkind emails to her and that she couldn't pretend it didn't hurt. If you try to just forward through it, you won't know that this is happening.  You have to listen to the presentation for a few minutes to hear her talking to Jill while they are showing the models.

She doesn't actually run off the set (to my knowledge), but she does leave and Jill takes over.  You only see her for a minute in the beginning and she is visibilty quiet and upset.  She then explains it to the viewers, but they never return to her on camera.

My point was that words hurt.  Even almost 18 years ago, what we now call "cyber-bullying" has been going on.  I had thought it was only something that was in the last few years, but it has been happening much longer than that.  Words can cut like a knife and it's easy to write/say what you want through email and behind a computer.  There are real people with real feelings reading this.  Just makes a person think twice, that's all.

Honored Contributor

Still very naturally beautiful and what a very handsome husband!  Thanks for the photo!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman  yes those v-yoke jeans -loved them.  so flattering to the mid section.  i wore them and wore them - wore them out.  Q kind of copied the style but not as good.  re: the writing you posted, now that is prose!   wouldn't it be interesting to see a reunion show of the women who are interesting to this day?  i would love it.  i always had a sweet spot for Delta and for Hal Holbrook's wife, Dixie Carter.  these women were/are beautiful and could actually act!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grade1Teach  Oh, thanks so much for explaining! I just listened to that and it was painful. Poor thing.

My gosh I wonder what they said to her, it must have been brutal. How sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Right or wrong, I thought I'd throw this into the mix:  I know many shall I say 'curvy' women whose various blood levels (cholesterol, etc.) are normal; and not very many re: 'slim'/'thin'/'skinny' ones.   There's a theory out there that I'm leaning toward believing re: not eating enough fats, but I'll leave it for another thread somewhere, sometime, so please disregard.   ('Funny' that I can't seem to remember how to correctly spell 'cholesterol'. I should keep it written on the palm of my hand, lol.)

@ROMARY, sometimes it's better not to just throw something like this out there. So much is wrong with this supposition, starting with your anecdotal remark and then your reference to some "theory" that simply can't be proved without very detailed, scientific research.

But you did spell "cholesterol" right. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Loved her jeans. I still own a pair and wear them.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

She worked hard on her clothing line. She even traveled around the country selling them. I remember her visiting military bases selling them.

She is still a talent. I hope someone offers her a new TV show. Her talent doesn't go away no matter what.

The first picture above was just another "bad" photo of her. The second is very good of both her and husband.

Regular Contributor

I always liked her. She had a lot of issues and really struggled to be a thin actress. I believe she also struggled with agoraphobia. I read her autobiography years ago. Life hasn't been easy for her. I hope she's well and happy out of the limelight 

Esteemed Contributor

@Andrewsgrandma wrote:

I always liked her. She had a lot of issues and really struggled to be a thin actress. I believe she also struggled with agoraphobia. I read her autobiography years ago. Life hasn't been easy for her. I hope she's well and happy out of the limelight 

I like her very much, also. She just seems so sweet.

BTW, one of her movies, "Maternal Instinct" is on youtube. It's pretty good, IMO.

Respected Contributor

Remember the "Designing Woman" episode where she went back for her class reunion?  Class mates were commenting on her weight gain and she handled it so beautifly!  Then complimented the very people who hurt her.

It's too bad someone got to her with an ugly email!

I still have one of her bathing suits and it's the nicest one I've ever purchased!  I would certianly enjoy her line comming back to QVC if she still sells clothing. 

Hopefully emails will not be given to her unless they are of a kind nature.

Cat