Honored Contributor

Deep breathes, deep breathes, @suzyQ3

We just went through a very traumatic incident here. My husband had his car on in the garage to get the battery up to snuff. He kept the garage open to avoid fumes.

He told me he was going to walk our 14--month-old Golden. I was upstairs and yelled down "okay."

About a minute later I thought I heard someone shout my name. I almost ignored it but then ran downstairs to the garage. It was open, but her leash and harness were still there.  I feared something very bad had happened. I ran up and called his cell.

Our pup Cali apparently was spooked by something when he grabbed the harness to put on her. She ran out of the garage and across the street (a busy "through" street that goes down to the beach.

He called her, but she started running in the direction of the beach. As she approached a walking path, he yelled at a woman (turned out to be a neighbor) to grab her, and thankfully she was able to do so.

I ran like hail down to the park with her leash and harness, in my fugly slippers. Both my husband and Cali were very shaken up and decided against a walk.

We are very grateful that our neighbor helped us and for our luck that Cali is still with us.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deep breathes, deep breathes, @suzyQ3

Wow!  So glad you had a happy ending.

Something similar happened when my dog was a pup.  I hadn't completely shut the kitchen door behind me and my dog went flying out the garage and into the street.  They can run so fast!  But fortunately, I finally caught up.

It's scary how fast things can go sideways.

Respected Contributor

Scary! Glad it ended well.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3   So glad she was caught!  ❤️I would have been just as upset as you! 

Respected Contributor

Whew! Glad it’s all fine now. 😊

Honored Contributor

So glad things ended well, cars, water...not good when your dog is on the run...our dog likes to slip out the door if she gets the chance, and it terrifies us, cause all 14 lbs of her runs pretty fast.

Honored Contributor

It'll be a while before you all breathe normally again, @suzyQ3 

I'm so glad all is well, but oh, my! Very frightening.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Very happy to hear you got Cali back, shaken but not injured. And a shout out for your neighbor.

Now! A running gasoline aspirated engine in a garage! Door open is better, but unless a garage has doors on both ends of it? Not good because exhaust fumes can still linger, even into the house.

When I warm up either of our vehicles for my wife it is all the way out of the garage. I check the direction of the wind to decide how far out our long driveway to park the car. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good advice from @hckynut here.

It might just be better to actually drive. Maybe @hckynut remembers better than I about whether it's more efficient for the car itself to be driven than to idle. I seem to remember reading that somewhere authoritative.

ETA: One thing I recall is that bedrooms over garages are always susceptible to fumes, even when the car is entering and exiting.

ETA#2: After re-reading, I realize this may seem harsh after the stress and fear you just went through, @suzyQ3 . That truly isn't my intent. My wish for all of you is to be safe, now and in the future. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 -

I can feel your fear and my heart is pounding!

I'm so glad she is ok! And that your neighbor was there to grab her!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"