Honored Contributor

Dedicated Soldier at Arlington

[ Edited ]

An image showing a solider placing an American flag at the tomb of the Unknown Solider during a severe thunderstorm at Arlington National Cemetery has gone viral. 

Each year, the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, which is named 'The Old Guard,' places flags at each grave in the Virginia cemetery ahead of Memorial Day weekend.

However, severe weather blew in with heavy rain pouring down on the cemetery, along with gale-force winds on Thursday.

As onlookers ran for cover, the soldiers carried on with their duty including one who stood out from the crowd.

Determined to honor the fallen, some of the soldiers were ordered to stand down until the worst of the weather passed. However one continued on. 

A Tomb Sentinel is one of the soldiers responsible for guarding the tomb 24 hours a day, carrying flags to the Unknowns and placing them in honor of the fallen.

In a Facebook post, The Old Guard claimed: 'During the storm, one of the most extraordinary displays of discipline and dedication to duty ever to be witnessed at Arlington National Cemetery was taking place at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. 

'With only a few watching from cover, a Tomb Sentinel approached the Unknowns with U.S. flags in hand.   

'As thunder shook the ground and rains washed down without abandon, the Tomb Sentinel pierced through the elements with breath-taking precision. 

'He knelt and placed the flags in honor of the Unknowns. For the select few who saw this moment, it was jaw-dropping. Humans have their limits, but The Old Guard has yet to meet theirs.'

Images showing a solider, (pictured), placing a small American flag at the tomb of the Unknown Solider during a severe storm at Arlington National Cemetery have gone viral

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dedicated Soldier at Arlington

True heroes who dedicate their lives to the good of mankind, who go about their duties without fan fare and with dignity and integrity.  God bless them all and bless all of our soldiers on this Memorial Day and always.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely beautiful ❤🇺🇸

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom - I have been fortunate to see the soldier guarding the tomb and the changing of the Tomb Sentinel many times.

I have to say every time I see this, it brings tears to my eyes as did the article you posted. They truly are so dedicated.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 

I'm sure that's an awesome experience!Heart

It would bring tears to my eyes too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this post, @KingstonsMom 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing @KingstonsMom . These are nice reminders...

Honored Contributor

God Bless him and all of the departed ones who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Thanks for posting such a touching picture.  Our soldiers work 24/7 to keep us safe and we owe them many thanks for the sacrifices that they make, especially the ultimate sacrifice.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My much loved high school sweetheart (U. S. Navy - Korea) and my precious husband, who passed in 2016 (U. S. Marines - WWII) are both  resting at Arlington.  Any picture or video of that blessed ground brings tears to my eyes.  I only wish I could visit there more often.