Valued Contributor
Contributor

It is a horrible thing to do to a cat, in my opinion.

Super Contributor
We found a starving cat in an alley that had been declawed, so couldn't even open a garbage bag or anything to get food. So of course, we brought her home and fattened her up. She died last year, but we had her for three happy years.
Honored Contributor
On 3/21/2014 lvenjay said:

It is a horrible thing to do to a cat, in my opinion.

ITA Ivenjay.

OP - Thank you for posting this. It is a horrible and cruel practice. And I'm tired of reading about cat owners who feign ignorance on this subject. Some people are too stupid to deserve a pet.

Contributor

Cyndog, so glad you found this cat before someone else. Bless you for taking her. I fostered, then adopted a Siamese cat that had been found in a taped box in a dumpster. Luckily, someone heard her and called a rescue group. She was declawed and would not use the litter box. Many times, they won't, because the litter bothers their feet. She would use old towels in a litter box and although it certainly was not an easy accomodation, it worked. I am certain she was thrown out by owners angry at her litter box habits, yet they were responsible for declawing her.

MJ12, I totally agree with you.

Cinebee, my thanks also.

Frequent Contributor

This summer, I rescued a five year old Siamese cat that is 4 paw declawed. I've had many cats previously, but this one doesn't act like a normal cat. She doesn't do anything that cats normally do, like play in paper bags or boxes and she's not the least bit interested in toys. I did notice that she was following a bug on the fireplace, so I devised a toy that looks like a bug that she will play with for a short time, but then she's bored. I feel so bad for her because she doesn't get any play time, not because I don't try, but because she's just not interested! Is this normal behavior for a 4 paw declawed kitty?

Super Contributor
Thanks Ivenjay. Pak, our declawed cat didn't have any other problems so I don't know. We do have cats that don't really play much and others that run around like nuts, ha, ha. Maybe you just have a non-player.
Contributor

Pak, I don't know either. I agree with cyndog that some cats play and some cats don't. It could be how she was raised/socialized. But it could be the declawing.

The Siamese I fostered, then ended up adopting (Keiko) never played much. She had been abused also. She at first hid in a closet, hissing and biting, which is why I ended up fostering her. I often fostered abused cats when I was younger. I suspect she had been abused because of her litter box habits.

If you consider a cat being declawed is much like a human having the first joint of all their fingers cut off, this is very traumatic and painful.They have to relearn how to walk, play, etc. and all their defenses (claws) are gone and only biting remains. I would think this would change their world view.

Blessings to you, Pak, for rescuing her. Have you tried a laser pen? They are fairly inexpensive and can be like a bug for play. Some of my cats never get tired of playing with it, but their owner does!

Contributor

Oh, if you use the laser toy, of course keep it out of their eyes. I honestly don't know if it will damage their eyes or not, but I am very careful, just in case.