Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

I didn't realize your wife is a pet sitter.  What a fun & interesting job to have.

I'm glad you, wife & pet kiddos are all doing well.  DH & I are also.  I retired a few months ago, so life is nice.  Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut , I just bought Andrew Lessman's Ceramide's as a barrier to moisture leaving the skin. As we age, ceramides get less and less in the body. For instance, we spend money for face moisturizers when ceramides are needed to keep the moisture in the body.

No, I wasn't referring losing all that water you're drinking in the bathroom. But you must have beautiful skin from all that water. 

I hate to drink water and am NEVER thirsty. I've been dehydrated so I have to cut down on tea and coffee and force 8 glasses a day. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Decisions, decisionso

[ Edited ]

@febe1 

Never gave my skin much thought, other than skin cancer as I got "old". Also have never heard about Ceramides, but know well about humans and dehydration. Running road races, I saw what being dehydrated caused to happen to many racers. 

Also working in 100+° factory for over 25 years, saw many co-workers drop during the hottest shifts. Most drank pop or coffee, very few drank much water. Their skin? Have no idea other than maybe a beard then no beard.

Between a job where I lose a lot of fluid/training outside in the heat and humidity? I learned early that I needed to keep my body well hydrated, or I would not do well at anything, including my job.

Not sure what "hate to drink water" even means, and thirst has no direct correlation to dehydration. To me water has little to no taste unless it smells bad and is bad. Filtering systems abound and have for decades to alleviate 99.9% of most of that. Disliking certain foods I get, but hating something, when pure  that has no taste?  

My skin? I spent years Drag Racing and very few had any trees close around them. Race days from sunrise to almost sunset was the norm for a race day. Big races were usually 2 day events. Other than that I did little in the sun. Guess I will say that my skin is not crinkled up like farmers many years my junior, or those that thought being "tanned", made them look better. "Beautiful skin"?  😉

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

i quit about 5 years ago, health reason, all i drink is water, no cola,no sweet drinks, no teas, again all health reasons

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

In summer try a cold beer.

Also in winter, @AuntG .  Fall and spring, too.  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Well, I guess I shouldn't say I "hate" water and you're right, it has no taste, @hckynut .  However, I dislike drinking water and am never thirsty. Eight glasses of water daily becomes a chore! I've tried adding lemon and lime, but that doesn't make it any better. Another thing is I don't like cold drinks. Even in the summer, I drink hot drinks. It's crazy! 

Honored Contributor

@febe1 

Well, I agree with you, you are different! As long as you are drinking enough of the fluids that do not act as diuretics, that meet your fluid loss, should be no problem. 

Different types of drinks the urinary tract handles effect people in different ways. With large amounts of alcohol, it is usually pretty standard for the body to lose more than it retains. Caffeine is another one that Can effect an imbalance of outgoing and incoming fluid retention.

I personally do not drink alcohol, and consume very little caffeine. Working the Graveyard Shift decades ago was the exception. 

Something that many are not aware. The human body uses more energy to heat itself than to cool itself. Many think sweating require more energy(some think of calories) reduces body weight. It does not, it however does reduce its fluid imbalance, with appears on scale numbers.

Think that is why many believe in replacing body fluids when hot, but give it little to no thought, when the body works harder to produce heat. It usually doesn't present at a lower body scale number. Adequate fluid is required at all times, not just in warm weather, heavy competition or hard physical workouts.

Thirst should never be used as a guide to hydration or dehydration, it is not the same with everyone. What is the same is the dangers of one allowing themselves to reach dangerous dehydration levels.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)