Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deadly Fire in Bronx, NY-19 Dead

I had a friend living in that building when I lived in the Bronx.  She now lives in Arizona and is trying to get in touch with friends who were still living there.

This is just so sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Those buildings have fire escapes but I haven't seen any in the picture I'm looking at. Maybe they are on the other side.

I know people would practice pulling down the ladders and sliding down.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

Those buildings have fire escapes but I haven't seen any in the picture I'm looking at. Maybe they are on the other side.

@Sage04  I read there were no fire escapes.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  oh wow!! I couldn't remember. I was so used to many of the buildings there having fire escapes.

Honored Contributor

Prayers for the victims and survivors of this hideous event.  Horrific.  Prayers too for the firefighters working valiantly under difficult conditions to save lives and minimize suffering whenever they can.

Honored Contributor

This tragedy is a horror.  There is a terrible gamble when one lives in a multi-unit building.  We do not dwell on it, but there is a threat because you never know what dangerous error your neighbor might make.

My heart breaks for all who perished, were injured or lost their home at this cold, icy time.  It is never a good time to lose one's life or home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Slight correction. It was a fire door that was left open. How horrible.

@Love my grandkids   I just read another update and it was a door on an upper level above the apartment that caught on fire.  When the residents fled the burning apartment that door was also left open since it was not a door set to self-close.

Two doors left open.

The effect was like a flue in a chimney, drawing up the deadly smoke and filling the hallways, according to Jim Long (spokesperson for NYFD).

Smoke inhalation has been determined to be the cause of death.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I had a friend living in that building when I lived in the Bronx.  She now lives in Arizona and is trying to get in touch with friends who were still living there.

This is just so sad.

@Sage04   I hope your friend has been able to contact her friends.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ @Sage04 

There were no fire escapes.  The building was too high to install them when the building was constructed.

The building was built back in the 1970's so sprinklers were not required, either.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ @Sage04 

There were no fire escapes.  The building was too high to install them when the building was constructed.

The building was built back in the 1970's so sprinklers were not required, either.

@Cakers3  Yes, I know. I just answered the question about fire escapes as there were none. The building was supposedly fire proof.