Trusted Contributor

It's Monday and I feel like venting. I notice that the daytime show hosts are always gone. I don't get it.

All January on "The View," there is no Rosie Perez. Apparently, she is off rehearsing for a Broadway show and will be gone all month. Whoopi is out due to a bad back and is in the hospital, so I totally understand her absence.

Then Kathi Lee Gifford has now been off 2 weeks from her Today Show with Kathie Lee & Hoda, and they do a remote to her in Florida. She hasn't been back since the holidays. The show has her name on it. They never say why she's not there. These hosts make a lot of money and surely they can arrange their schedules so that they are on the shows they occupy. I can never in my life make those salaries, but I have to work long hours and not take a lot of time off.

I know they have it written into their contracts no doubt, but still, it just is curious that they are never there. "The View" hosts have only been on for a few months, it's strange to keep having subs for them this soon. We all have commitments separate from our careers, but they should honor their jobs.

Sorry, just my feelings today. I get tired of pampered celebrities who make so much money and yet don't work that hard for it. I like what Ricky Gervais said on the Globes about pampered celebs. I think it's funny he puts it out there. It makes them uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

Well, stuff happens. I can understand your frustration but I imagine Rosie P had that Broadway commitment when she signed on, so it was part of her contract. These things are usually planned way ahead.

If somebody gets sick they shouldn't be expected to work. It just all happened at the same time. Sorry that Whoopi's been having such a hard time. Back stuff can be just horrid (I know for first person experience). I hope she's feeling better soon.

They've had some pretty good sit in hosts. I love Laverne Cox, so I'm always happy when she's there. I also love Mario Cantone so it's fun when he's there. Couple of them I didn't even know who they were. One woman who, IIRC, sat in Whoopi's seat one day got on my last nerve. I don't remember her name, and was not familiar with 'who' she is either. I don't do well with yelly people, though. Smiley Happy

I never liked Gifford so I don't watch their show.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm beginning to like "The Talk" more and more. At least all five of them are there almost every day. Once in awhile Mrs. O is gone but the other four do a good job. I like all of them and they don't talk over each other like the ones at The View.

I can do w/o Rosie Perez and her screechy voice and lately, I am not liking Whoopi. I never liked Nicole Wallace. I don't think she's a good fit for the show and IMO, the four of them just don't go well together. It's like they just picked four people out of a crowd and sat them down to talk to each other. Three comics and Nicole??? She's trying too hard too. I can't stand it when she throws her head back and laughs at Whoopi and then stops on a dime. It's so phony.

Of course this is JMO..... I do like Mario Cantone. Seems as though they use him only when they are desperate.... I could stand more of him. Maybe he should be a regular. I have a feeling Rosie P's contract will not be renewed...... I like Rosie O more and more and I think she might have another chance at being "host"......Whoopi hates the show. She as much as said it when she was on Letterman a few weeks ago.

Trusted Contributor

These people re hired because of their celebrity -- not necessarily because they are the best interviewers. Their celebrity draws an audience.

Part of being a celebrity entails, amongst other things, doing various project to garner publicity. In other words, if the show's producers want celebrities, they have to accept them with their busy schedules and baggage. Allowing time for these other projects is just part of their contract -- just like vacation time and sick leave.

Honored Contributor

I would imagine that the hosts can take a number of days off and it doesn't matter ..... what happens then is they call guests to fill in as hosts and the day's show is then different, and the energy is different.

People stop watching when it gets boring and I would imagine that mixing it up with different guest hosts is probably desirable to the producers. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/12/2015 sophiamarie said:

I'm beginning to like "The Talk" more and more. At least all five of them are there almost every day. Once in awhile Mrs. O is gone but the other four do a good job. I like all of them and they don't talk over each other like the ones at The View.

I can do w/o Rosie Perez and her screechy voice and lately, I am not liking Whoopi. I never liked Nicole Wallace. I don't think she's a good fit for the show and IMO, the four of them just don't go well together. It's like they just picked four people out of a crowd and sat them down to talk to each other. Three comics and Nicole??? She's trying too hard too. I can't stand it when she throws her head back and laughs at Whoopi and then stops on a dime. It's so phony.

Of course this is JMO..... I do like Mario Cantone. Seems as though they use him only when they are desperate.... I could stand more of him. Maybe he should be a regular. I have a feeling Rosie P's contract will not be renewed...... I like Rosie O more and more and I think she might have another chance at being "host"......Whoopi hates the show. She as much as said it when she was on Letterman a few weeks ago.

What did Whoopi say on Letterman?