Respected Contributor

I'm not sure how old you are but there is a site called Senior People Meet.

I ,met a few nice guys and went on several dates. with 2 of them.  Interestingly I knew one of them from years ago when I was single and the second one's ex was married to my ex BIL.  What are the odds?  The second guy was a really nice guy, but there was no chemistry at all.  

After dating 2 guys, and speaking to several from a dating site, I found (in my case) these men were way ahead of me in terms of commitment.   I was just starting out and getting my feet wet and they seemed to be at a point where they wanted a wife.

I decided dating is not for me.....not even sure if I want a partner.  Life isn't so bad alone.

My attitude now is....if it's meant to be I will meet someone when the time is right.

Good luck to you.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Trusted Contributor

I know nothing about dating sites so cannot offer any advice in that department.

Sorry I think wondering around Home Depot, inventing a project, sounds beyond desperate.  How would you know the "handy man" was even available?  What are you suppose to do, look for a wedding ring?  It's been my experience, many men that work with their hands do not wear rings. The damsel in distress needing a big strong man to help her is just pathetic.

If you want to date go to a dating site.  If someone is willing to pay a fee to post a profile, there's a pretty good chance they are serious about dating.

Esteemed Contributor

Lotus - I did exactly what you did. I tried senior people meet about 11 months ago and I've met some very nice men (and "other" men, too!). I've reached the same conclusion.... I'm fine on my own. I don't feel a need to have a mate. It would be nice to have a guy on hand for going out from time to time....but my experience is that most men in their 50s are looking to get married. 

Honored Contributor

A lot of these old guys are looking for a rich widow to support them.........

The Kitty is much better company.......................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I know nothing about dating sites so cannot offer any advice in that department.

Sorry I think wondering around Home Depot, inventing a project, sounds beyond desperate.  How would you know the "handy man" was even available?  What are you suppose to do, look for a wedding ring?  It's been my experience, many men that work with their hands do not wear rings. The damsel in distress needing a big strong man to help her is just pathetic.

If you want to date go to a dating site.  If someone is willing to pay a fee to post a profile, there's a pretty good chance they are serious about dating.

Damsel is distress... laughing-and-pointing-emoticon_133428_Laughing_and_pointing_emoticon

Honored Contributor

I've been married since I was 23 so I've never had the need, but my son has been using dating sites to meet women since he was 21. At 31 and the proverbial bachelor he still uses the sites, free and paid when he gets lonely. He has met a lot of nice women and dated some of them for quite a while and is still friends with all of them. My son says he sees no difference in the free sites from the paid in the way of results, but then it may be different for a guy.

Super Contributor

I have no personal experience in this area, but one of my very good friends who was widowed in 2010 tried just about everything...I mean she wanted a MAN and a RELATIONSHIP!!!

She tried Match.com, eharmony, Plenty of Fish, enen paid a professional matchmaker several thousand $$$ to find someone...she is also VERY active and sold her  house to move to a very large over 55 community where she would be less isolated and could get involved in even more activities (did I say she was hyper???)  She was also very picky about what she wanted in regard to age, appearance, education, financially secure, etc. etc.

Anyway, here we are 5 years down the road...she met lots of men and dated alot- Oh - my friend is 70 and attractive, but not "movie star" attractive - but I think men are attracted to her energy and "joie de vivre" - she is very vibrant...anyway, some guys she dated for a little while, some just were not suitable, a couple broke her heart (temporarily), some were lots of fun, but not good for the long term...

She had the most "success" with Match.com and kept going back to it..she is now in what seems to be a lovely relationship (6 months) and is extremely happy.   Her take was that Match just had the largest "pool" to choose from - and there were alsways new "possibilities" -  eharmony she felt had too much of a religious overtone for her and Plenty of Fish had "too many sleazy guys"...

Good luck to you and remember, you have to kiss alot of frogs....

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I've suggested this before, and not too many here were thrilled about the idea, but...........besides volunteering for HFH, try roaming around a large home improvement center, preferably the ones that deal with professional contractors and/or carpenters.  Just look around, see 'what's new' (lol)...........Maybe try to think of a project that you might be interested in doing/making.  Could even be a plank of wood to stain, and place on a table for a Fall decor setting.  Well, it is an idea............

Oy vey, Romary! No, no no, no, no!

Respected Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Damsel is distress... laughing-and-pointing-emoticon_133428_Laughing_and_pointing_emoticon

You're killin' me, muttmom. Can't stop laughing.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who say the best way to meet a man you have similar interests with is to just get out and do things you enjoy doing. Forcing yourself to hang around Home depot or volunteering for HFH when you actually hate doing things like that is counterproductive.  So, for instance , if you enjoy working out , by all means , join a gym and go there regularly. there are always guys there.If you enjoy riding a bike - grab a friend and go biking, there are almost always guys on the trails. I know someone who really liked rowing as an exercise so she joined a kayak club to row on the Pitts. rivers and met her husband there. IMO - what NOT to do is hang out in bars because you only meet losers there, or go to any activity and pretend you like it when you don't. Oh yeah, I have another friend who liked the way the kites they fly on one beach in Erie, pa looked so she bought a kit and made a kite and went to the beach to fly it with her 7 yr old son. She met a few guys there - and some friends too. She is still flying kites with her son and it has been about 25 years. It is something she and her son and now her grandkids share.