Super Contributor

Well, I just got home from a monthly club meeting and I want to vent about a mother who doesn't tell her grown son that he stinks....a bad, very bad stink....every month. No one will sit beside him kind of stink. The woman is in her 70's, has two grown sons who live with her and one stinks and one doesn't. I have to admit they are an odd lot.

Now, I have been approached by some members to tell him that he stinks...that is not going to happen, although I did consider briefly, telling the mother that she should talk to her son. But, she is pretty spooky on her own and I am a little afraid of her. I have decided just to avoid sitting by him.

What would you do?

Super Contributor

JJ, I'd sit next to him...and put on a nose clip!

Maybe the Mother & he would get the message. Wink

Valued Contributor
On 3/16/2014 judgejudith said:

Well, I just got home from a monthly club meeting and I want to vent about a mother who doesn't tell her grown son that he stinks....a bad, very bad stink....every month. No one will sit beside him kind of stink. The woman is in her 70's, has two grown sons who live with her and one stinks and one doesn't. I have to admit they are an odd lot.

Now, I have been approached by some members to tell him that he stinks...that is not going to happen, although I did consider briefly, telling the mother that she should talk to her son. But, she is pretty spooky on her own and I am a little afraid of her. I have decided just to avoid sitting by him.

What would you do?

I don't know what I would do beyond first making certain the odor is not the result of a medical condition such as ketoacidosis, liver disease, kidney disease or a metabolic disease rather than willful.

Super Contributor

What would you do?

If they are both grown men, one stinks and the other one doesn't, she is probably well aware of the issue but it's not her responsibility to tell her adult son to bathe unless he has some disability that is keeping him from caring for his own hygiene properly. It's an awkward situation for sure, but one never knows what goes on behind closed doors. Perhaps the man has a medical condition, perhaps he has some beliefs that keep him from bathing (some people do believe in going the "au natural" path), perhaps he is just a lazy slob, but one thing is for sure.... it would be extremely difficult to bring up that subject to the mother without somehow offending or embarrassing her. If it were me, I would just sit across the room or upwind of him. Your other option is to put on an offensive amount of perfume and sit yourself next to him, he might get the hint, but probably not.

Respected Contributor
Most of the various threads are a daily vent about one thing or another. I don't see the need for a designated daily vent. Ergo bye,bye venters. Have a wonderful daySmiley Happy
Respected Contributor
Most of the various threads are a daily vent about one thing or another. I don't see the need for a designated daily vent. Ergo bye,bye venters. Have a wonderful daySmiley Happy Duplicate post, sorry.
Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 luvmyteddy said:

I have no idea what to do. I am dreading this spring and summer when I like to sleep with my windows open. I want to put a potato in his pipes. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Any ideas?

Respected Contributor

What would you do?

Hi jj - We had a similar problem with an IT tech at work a few years ago. His job was to work with the staff to solve our computer problems, hardware & software. His body odor was really bad, very unpleasant to have to be near him as he was trying to help us.

I guess enough staff members finally were affected and the "second in command" over our entire site talked to him. This top level person was an extremely nice guy, everyone liked him, so I'm sure he handled it very nicely and kindly.

Evidently, it was a hygiene problem because the problem disappeared as soon as he was talked to and has never happened again.

Not knowing what kind of club you're in, I can only suggest that maybe another man who is part of the club, maybe friendly with this guy and/or holds a higher position in the club, could be asked to talk to him.

I would definitely not recommend that you take that responsibility, but I sure do understand the problem.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Valued Contributor
My vent is about the weather. We are getting snow. The good news is instead of 6 to 8 inches, we are getting a much more manageable 4 to 6. I shopped for a birthday card for a family member today. I took a pen, a stamp, and an address label with me, so I could stop by the post office to mail it on the way home from the store. I had pen in hand when I noticed the envelope required extra postage. I only had 1 measly stamp with me. So, I had to return home for another stamp, and make a trip to the post office. So much for planning ahead.
Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 maryebrown said:

JJ, I'd sit next to him...and put on a nose clip!

Maybe the Mother & he would get the message. Wink

Orrrrrrrrr take one of those little handheld battery operated fans with you and make sure it fans the um..."aroma" back towards him?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**