Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Hello my friends! Hope your day is going well. It's so good to see how in the last thread how God is answering our prayers! How we thank you, O God! We haven't heard yet how Darla's Dr. Appt. went yet for her back, hope something can be done for her back to relieve pain other than surgery. Now surgery wasn't mentioned, it was just my thought. We pray every day for her healing and everyday with hope and trust, but sometimes it just takes more prayer and longer to get answered. So we continue to hope and pray but above all TRUST! He wants us never to stop trusting Him, so we won't. He is worthy of all our trust. I woke up with a headache, but thanks be to God I'm feeling fine now. I'm going to put a whole chicken in the slow cooker tonight so it's ready in the morning, as Lori's coming for lunch tomorrow. Do you have any good ideas on what to use for the rub? I'm out of the one I had. Just salt and lemon pepper? Just please give me some ideas before tonight.

You are a blessed, creative, lovable and needed being created by God.
Lord, may these qualities shine forth and be used to bless those around me.
S C R I P T U R E F O R T H E D A Y

"For this reason, since the day we heard it, we have not ceased praying for
you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of God's will in
all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may lead lives worthy of
the Lord, fully pleasing to him, as you bear fruit in every good work and as
you grow in the knowledge of God." ~Colossians
1:9

M E D I T A T I O N F O R T H E D A Y

We can persevere in all that God's guidance moves us to do. The persistent
carrying out of what seems right and good can bring us to that place where
we would be. If we look back over God's guidance, we can see that God's
leading has been very gradual and that only as we have carried out God's
wishes, as far as we can understand them, has God been able to give us more
clear and definite leading. We can be led by God's touch on a quickened
responsive mind.

P R A Y E R F O R T H E D A Y

I pray that I may persevere in doing what seems right. I pray that I may
carry out all of God's leading as far as I can understand it.
Scripture Reflection by Patrick Carnevale
Today's readings 3/18/15
Is.49:8-15; Ps.145:8-9, 13-14, 17-18; Jn.5:17-30
I have to admit that there have been times in my life when it seemed as though "the Lord has forsaken me" and turned a deaf ear to my prayers, only to find our later how true those prophetic words spoken by Isaiah really are. Yes, over the years I've learned that when we're at our worst God is at His best, doing exactly what Jesus says in today's Gospel. I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "hitting rock-bottom" before, most of us probably know all about it from experience, and it is out of the depths of our darkest moments that God calls us out of. Of course we all know that it's up to us as to how we respond to that call, we can reject it just as easily as we can embrace it. God isn't going to drag us out kicking and screaming, that's what the enemy is going to do, but he isn't going to drag us out of darkness but further into it. And so today's readings present us with two simple choices with timeless implications associated with them, and God's Word is very clear as to which one will "honor the Son and the One who sent Him". No, contrary to what the enemy tries to tell us God hasn't forsaken or forgotten anyone, He hasn't given up on anyone either, let's make sure we don't give up on Him in return, especially when our lives seem the darkest.
God bless you,
In Jesus – Pat
WHAT YOU WILL BE
Author Unknown

As I gazed up at the mountains, I was awed by their majesty;
I bowed my head and asked myself, "Why should He care for me?
I am not great like the mountains that tower so high above,
What is there about me that God can find to love?"

"Father, I am not strong like the wind that makes your tall trees
sway, I cannot sing sweetly like your birds; will you love me anyway?
But most of all, I am simply me, and often have cause to fear,
In spite of all my weaknesses, do you promise to be near?"

With eyes closed tight against my tears, I wished He could hear me
pray.
Then I felt His Spirit tell me, "Child, look up, I have something to
say.
"You are simply you, the spirit I love, a part of my great plan.
I put you here to learn of life and to return to me again."

"You are more beautiful to me than the loveliest mountain I made,
And your strength exceeds that of the wind's, so do not be afraid.
I love you not for what you are, but for what I know you will be.
I am always beside you watching you grow, you are very special to me."

A smile touched my lips - I knew it was true, my Father had always
been there Giving me comfort and blessings and love and my own special talents to
share.
So I do my best to make Him proud. I am not afraid, for you see,
He loves me not for what I am, but for what He knows I will be.
Jesus Calling

March 18

Trust Me one day at a time. This keeps you close to Me, responsive to My will. Trust is not a natural response, especially for those who have been deeply wounded. My Spirit within you is your resident Tutor, helping you in this supernatural endeavor. Yield to His gentle touch; be sensitive to His prompting.

Exert your will to trust Me in all circumstances. Don’t let your need to understand distract you from My Presence. I will equip you to get through this day victoriously, as you live in deep dependence on Me. Tomorrow is busy worrying about itself; don’t get tangled up in its worry-webs. Trust Me one day at a time.

O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.
—Psalm 84:12

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
—Matthew 6:34

Meditations by Padre Pio

I truly feel my heart bursting from my breast on hearing of your suffering. What wouldn’t I do to see you relieved of it. But why are you so anxious? Why are you so restless? Come on, my dear daughter, I have never seen Jesus grant you so many jewels as He does now. I have never seen you so dear to Jesus as you are now. So why do you tremble and fear? Your fear and trembling is similar to that of a child in the arms of its mother. So your fear is useless and silly.

If you would like to know God ... Look at the crucifix.

If you would like to love God ... Look at the crucifix.

If you want to serve God ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wonder what you are worth ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wonder how much God loves you ... Look at the crucifix.

If you want to know the need for self-denial and sacrifice ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wonder how much you should forgive others ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wonder how much you should do for others ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wonder how much your faith demands ... of you in humility, poverty, charity in every virtue ... Look at the crucifix.

If you want to know what unselfishness and generosity are ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wonder how far your own unselfishness should go to bring others to Christ ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wish to live well ... Look at the crucifix.

If you wish to die well ... Look at the crucifix.

When was the last time you really thought about how much suffering Jesus went through for you?
Next time you think your pain and suffering is too much to bear ...
Look at the crucifix and say: JESUS UNDERSTANDS!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Gloria, I use salt, pepper, a little lemon and a little Worcestershire sauce. Hope that helps.

God's blessings on all here. May He answer all your prayers. May He heal Darla's back and Julie's back. May He heal Gloria of any pain or discomfort she may have. Lovestopaint may He heal you as well. Heal all here who have needs. God knows your needs. Have a good day Thur. Make it a good one. I love you all. Hello to Pinky. Gloria, have a nice lunch with your daughter.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone, and Happy St. Joseph's Day. I have celebrated St. Joseph's day since I was a little girl going to school in South Philadelphia. As I said on one of the other boards, I went to the Epiphany School and the Order of Nuns that taught there were the St. Joseph's Nuns, so we really lucked out, we used to get St. Patrick's Day off, go to school the next day and then the next day we would have St. Joseph's Day off, and of course it was great when St. Joseph's Day feel on a Friday.

Gloria, as always I will be praying that they can do something for Darla's back. And for Lori too.

Blessings to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint

Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone, I was in town earlier for groceries and kitty supplies. I found out while in the market that we're supposed to have snow tomorrow. 3-5 inches. yipeeee...... not really..... I'm glad I got this trip done today, as I bought a lot, and both the ground and deck were clear and dry to get everything inside.

Julie, I had no idea you were having so much back trouble. I'm so sorry if I missed that! Being a back issue veteran myself, I can honestly say I know what you're going through, and hope you'll be feeling better soon. It's a tough road that I wish on no one.

Bobbiesue, I hope your shot works for you, and the vision you have improves.

Gloria, Has Darla ever tried a pain block? I had an epidural one years ago, and it was a huge relief for me. I hope she'll call with good news from her doctor.

Harlene, How neat to be off from school to celebrate the saints! Are you ready for the return of the white stuff?

Prayers for all of you here, as well as your families! Hugs, pinky

Esteemed Contributor

March 19th is the feast day of Saint Joseph, foster-father of Jesus. St. Joseph is the patron saint of fathers, workers, carpenters, and the Universal Church, among others.

St. Joseph is one of the most loved saints because he is the man whom God chose among all others to be the special guardian of the Incarnate Jesus Christ and His mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary.

He was the human guardian of the Holy Family, and because of this sacred family bond and divinely-given mission, he is also the foster-father to all Christians.

So, we should get to know our heavenly patron a bit better!

Not much is relayed about his life from the Gospels, however, there are a few saints and blesseds who claim to have been favored with visions of the life of St. Joseph.

Perhaps the most famous of these is from one of our most popular-selling books,The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary by Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich. Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824) was a nun, mystic, and visionary who had the grace of unusual glimpses with remarkable detail into the life of the Holy Family. As private revelations these visions do not carry any doctrinal authority, but as part of pious belief it shows us an example of the perfect virtue that St. Joseph certainly possessed in order to have been given such a noble charge.

On this feast day of St. Joseph, here are excerpts from The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary that give us a glimpse into the early life of Saint Joseph, a descendant of the royal house of Israel’s King David.

st joseph

Excerpts from The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary

by St. Anne Catherine Emmerich

“Among many things which I saw today of the youth of St. Joseph, I remember what follows.

Joseph, whose father was called Jacob, was the third of six brothers. His parents lived in a large house outside Bethlehem, once the ancestral home of David, whose father Isai or Jesse had owned it. By Joseph’s time there was, however, little remaining of the old building except the main walls. The situation was very airy, and water was abundant there. . . .

Joseph, whom I saw in this vision at about the age of eight, was very different in character from his brothers. He was very gifted and was a very good scholar, but he was simple, quiet, devout, and not at all ambitious. His brothers knocked him about and played all kinds of tricks on him. . . .

I often saw him under the colonnade in the outer court kneeling down with his face to the wall, praying with outstretched arms, and I saw his brothers creep up and kick him. I once saw him kneeling like this, when one of them hit him on the back, and as he did not seem to notice it, he repeated his attack with such violence that poor Joseph fell forward onto the hard stone floor. From this I realized that he was not in a waking condition, but had been in an ecstasy of prayer. When he came to himself, he did not lose his temper or take revenge, but found a hidden corner where he continued his prayer. . . .

His brothers’ hostility at last made it impossible for him to remain any longer in his parents’ house; I saw that a friend from Bethlehem (which was separated from his home by a little stream) gave him clothes in which to disguise himself. In these he left the house at night in order to earn his living in another place by his carpentry. He might have been eighteen to twenty years old at that time. . . .

To begin with, I saw him working with a carpenter at Lebona. This was the place where he first really learnt his craft. His master had his dwelling against some ancient walls which ran from the town along a narrow ledge of hill, like a road leading up to some ruined castle. . . His master was a poor man, and made mostly only such common things . . . Joseph was very devout, good, and simple-minded, everybody loved him. I saw him helping his master very humbly in all sorts of ways–picking up shavings, collecting wood, and carrying it back on his shoulders. In later days he passed by here with the Blessed Virgin on one of their journeys, and I think he visited his former workshop with her. . . .

His parents thought at first that he had been carried off by robbers; but I saw that he was discovered at last by his brothers and severely taken to task, for they were ashamed of his low way of life. He was, however, too humble to give it up . . .

Joseph was very devout and prayed fervently for the coming of the Messiah. He was just engaged in building beside his dwelling a more retired room for prayer, when an angel appeared to him and told him not to do this, for, as once the patriarch Joseph at about this time had, by God’s will, been made overseer of all the corn of Egypt, so he, the second Joseph, should now be entrusted with the care of the granary of salvation. Joseph in his humility did not understand this, and gave himself up to continual prayer, till he received the call to betake himself to Jerusalem to become by divine decree the spouse of the Blessed Virgin.”

You can read more about the early life of St. Joseph as relayed by other mystics of the Church here.

<h2 style="padding-left: 30px;">A Prayer to St. Joseph</h2>

O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that, having engaged here below your Heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen.

Esteemed Contributor

I copied and pasted St. Joseph from Facebook and it came out good! Praise the Lord!

I don't know if Darla has tried that, Pinky, but I think she has tried everything. This morning she found out that she is NOT getting her tenure, so she's really wired up now Linus said. That means that she can have one more year of teaching there and then she's fired. No fault of hers, just so they can hire more teachers cheaper. So God is closing that door, and he WILL open another and a much better one, I'm sure. Like finally coming to MPLS? That would be a dream come true. She plans on applying at St. Mary's there in Mpls.

The chicken turned out very good! I tasted it, and we'll be having it for lunch with mashed potatoes and gravy and some veggies. Bobbiesue, I will try that next time, this time I used lemon pepper, and some organic seasonings I had and it worked out well. I'll have to use lemon pepper more often. That worchestershire sauce on it sounds good too.