Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Hello my friends! Peace of Jesus to you all. Thanks Harlene for praying for Bailey, I've had that girl on my mind most of the day, and Shurri too. Got her on the prayer line, lots have her wrapped up in prayer -and I'm sure lots of you here too. Got my hair cut today - Georgia helped me re-arranged some things in the diningroom, it looks so nice now. Tomorrow at 1 two ladies are coming to play cards from the card club - One we haven't met yet, so looking forward to meeting her. They are widows. My cleaning lady, Shurri, and my hair dresser, Georgia, are becoming very good friends to me and that's a blessing!! Wishing you all a very good night and sweet dreams!!

If you want peace and goodness in your life you must be kind and loving.
Lord, may I avoid creating misery so that my life will reflect my love for
You.
Scripture for the day:

"My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it
nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces
endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature
and complete, lacking in nothing." ~James 1:2-4

Meditation for the day:
As we look back over our lives, it is not too difficult to see that what we
went through was for a purpose and helped to prepare us for some valuable
work in life. Everything in our lives can help make us of some use in the
world. Each person's life is like the pattern of a mosaic. Each thing that
happens to us is like one tiny stone in the mosaic, and each tiny stone fits
into the perfected pattern of the mosaic of our life, which has been
designed by God.

Prayer for the day:
I pray that I may not need to see the whole design of my life. I pray that
I may trust the Designer.
JUST CALL UPON HIM
-- Author Unknown

The boy walked along the ocean shore . . . trying not to stray. He looked up to his father saying, "Dad, I want to play."

His father looked upon him, with love showing in his eyes. "Do what you want to, my son . . . but do not leave my side."

"I would never leave you Daddy, I love you way too much." But the boy took a step away, out of his father's range of touch.

He walked through the surf, the waves tickling one toe. "If I take one more step in . . ." he thought, "Father will never know."

His father called out to him, "Son, to me remain true!" The boy thought with glee . . . "At the moment I don't need you!"

His father felt a sadness, but he held his tongue. Sometimes lessons need to be learned . . . even when so young.

The boy stepped out a little further . . . the water covering his waist. His father spoke with urgency . . . his father spoke with haste.

"My son, come back to me," he said, "The day is almost done!" "Not yet, Dad," the boy yelled, "I'm having too much fun!"

But the boy did not have his father's insight so he could not yet tell, The tide was coming in fast . . . there would be no time to yell.

"Father!" he tried to scream, as the water covered his head. "I need you now, Daddy!" was what the boy had said.

And in a single instant his father was by his side. "I thought you left me, Daddy . . . I thought you went to hide."

The father looked upon his son . . . a tear streaming down his cheek. The boy looked upon his father . . . and cried the sobs of the meek.

"I would never leave you son . . . for I love you just the same." "I was only waiting . . . for you to call upon my name."
Does evil exist?
The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"
The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.
Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor? Does cold exist?"
"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.
The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."
The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"
The professor responded, "Of course it does."
The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."
Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"
Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."
To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."
- - -
"Evil can no more be charged upon God than darkness can be charged upon the sun." - William Law
Let's not forget our Guardian Angels:

INVOCATIONS TO THE HOLY GUARDIAN ANGEL

Holy Angel, my counselor, inspire me; Holy Angel, my defender, protect me;
Holy Angel, my faithful friend; intercede for me;
Holy Angel, my consoler, fortify me; Holy Angel, my brother, defend me;
Holy Angel, my teacher, instruct me;
Holy Angel, witness of all my actions, purify me;
Holy Angel, my helper, support me;
Holy Angel, my intercessor, speak for me;
Holy Angel, my guide, direct me; Holy Angel, my light, enlighten me;
Holy Angel, whom God has assigned to lead me, govern me.

Recipe for Success

Ingredients:

1 cup Tension
2 cups Stress
1 1/2 teaspoons of Guilt
2 heaping cups of Limited Time
3/4 tablespoon of Urgency
A dash of "No Other Choice"

3 heaping cups of Faith

Directions:

Fold ingredients gently into a bowl. Mix vigorously and add a few tears. You'll sweat a little as you knead the dough. Pack it firmly between your hopes and dreams and form into a perfect little ball. Sprinkle it with a little faith, rolling the ball in the flour until fully covered.

Place it under
a veil of belief
and allow it to rise.

Put it in an oven that has been pre-set at the perfect temperature for the
heat of trials and tribulations

Allow it to brown under the
warmth of God's love. Remove after due season and allow to cool in the confidence of His promise

Garnish with your
praises. Arrange neatly on a platter of thankfulness and serve to friends, families and, oh yes, strangers . . . invite them too!

A PILLOW AND A BLANKET
Author Unknown

A long time ago, a young, wealthy girl was getting ready for bed. She
was saying her prayers when she heard a muffled crying coming through
her window. A little frightened, she went over to the window and
leaned out.

Another girl, who seemed to be about her age and homeless was
standing in the alley by the rich girl's house. Her heart went out to
the homeless girl, for it was the dead of winter, and the girl had no
blanket, only old
newspapers someone had thrown out.

The rich girl was suddenly struck with a brilliant idea. She called
to the other girl and said, "You there, come to my front door,
please."

The homeless girl was so startled she could only manage to nod.

As quick as her legs could take her, the young girl ran down the hall
to her mothers closet, and picked out an old quilt and a beat up
pillow. She had to walk slower down to the front door as to not trip
over the quilt which was
hanging down, but she made it eventually. Dropping both the articles,
she opened the door. Standing there was the homeless girl, looking
quite scared.

The rich girl smiled warmly and handed both articles to the other
girl. Her smile grew wider as she watched the true amazement and
happiness alight upon the other girl's face. She went to bed
incredibly satisfied.

In mid-morning the next day a knock came to the door. The rich girl
flew to the door hoping that it was the other little girl there. She
opened the large door and looked outside. It was the other little
girl. Her face looked happy, and she smiled. "I suppose you want these
back."

The rich little girl opened her mouth to say that she could keep them
when another idea popped into her head. "No, I want them back."

The homeless girl's face fell. This was obviously not the answer she
had hoped for. She reluctantly laid down the beat up things, and
turned to leave when the rich girl yelled, "Wait! Stay right there."

She turned in time to see the rich girl running up the stairs and
down a long corridor. Deciding whatever the rich little girl was doing
wasn't worth waiting for she started to turn around and walk away. As
her foot hit the first step, she felt someone tap her on the shoulder,
turning she saw the rich little girl, thrusting a new blanket and
pillow at her. "Have these." she said quietly.

These were her own personal belonging made of silk and down feathers.

As the two grew older they didn't see each other much, but they were
never far from each other's minds. One day, the Rich girl, who was now
a Rich woman got a telephone call from someone. A lawyer, saying that
she was requested to see him.

When she arrived at the office, he told her what had happened. Forty
years ago, when she was nine years old, she had helped a little girl
in need. That grew into a middle-class woman with a husband and two
children. She had recently died and left something for her in her
will. "Though," the lawyer said, "it's the most peculiar thing. She
left you a pillow and a blanket."

The Lord's Prayer
Leader: When we feel that we are not succeeding and begin to doubt our sense of worth, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Our Father, who art in Heaven
Leader: When we become too closely involved in our own affairs, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Hallowed be thy name
Leader: When we think of the future as fixed and impossible to change, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Thy Kingdom come
Leader: When we begin to dodge our commitments and evade our obligations, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Leader: When we are smug, comfortable and satisfied and forget the needs of others, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Give us this day our daily bread
Leader: When we hold grudges and allow bitterness and resentment into our hearts, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
Leader: When we find it hard to say 'No' and the pressure to give in mounts, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil
Leader: When we become self-centred and seek only our own gratification, Lord, teach us to pray:
All: The Kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, for ever and ever.
Amen.
(The Lord's Prayer can be found in the bible in Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4.)
Valued Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Good Morning! It's a frigid 7 degrees here this morning. It's supposed to snow here too, and I don't really look forward to it. A few inches is what the weather folks are saying. The stars last night were just amazing! I don't know what it is when it gets very cold, but they were extra bright and beautiful! It's nice that we have no light pollution and always get the full impact of the night sky.

Gloria: Said a prayer for Shurrie and her family. The tv program Intervention showed addiction and all its ramifications, and I feel bad for anyone dealing with it. I'm glad you have help with your home, and you're happy with the results, as well as making some good friends. I get my hair trimmed every few months, as it's getting long, and doesn't need to be cut as often. I wish someone could come to the house to cut DH's hair. It's too hard for him to go out in the snow unless it's a doctors appointment.

No set plans for today so far, just have a few small things I'd like to get done. I hope everyone has a good day, and stays warm if you're in the cold weather areas. Hugs, pinky

Trusted Contributor

Hope you have a nice time playing cards with your friends, Gloria.

Hi Pinky here we go again. One of the weather people mentioned "clipper" last night.

Blessings to all, and stay safe and warm.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Blessings to all and stay warm and dry. Be safe. Very cold here and freezing rain. Pray that Spring will come soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pinky Ann - It's been very windy here today - cold wind. Fortunately Linus had the day off and he did the grocery shopping himself. That's interesting about the stars shining brightly when it's very cold - I should remember to check that out - it's going to be about 11 below tonight I heard. Thanks for praying for Shurri and her family - much prayer is needed for them all. Our little prayers added on to everyone elses prayers, bring on a big prayer group!

Harlene - we did have a good time playing cards and we won too!

Bobbiesue - blessings and stay warm too.