Esteemed Contributor

My 89 year old dad and I live in the same apartment complex. He has his apartment, I have mine. This way, he still has his independence, and I can keep an eye on him.

He no longer drives (know anybody that would be interested in a 1986 Nissan pick-up, that needs a lot of bodywork?), so I take him to run errands.

Today, we did some errand running, which included grocery shopping.

When we got home, Dad was getting out of the car, while I was at the trunk, starting to gather the bags of groceries.

I had one bag on my arm, when I heard a commotion.

I looked up, and saw my dad stumbling around. He had gotten off balance, and he was struggling to regain his balance.

When I saw that he was going to go down, I took one and a half giant steps towards him, stuck my arms out, widened my stance, when his back was to me, I grabbed him, wrapped my arms around his torso, absorbed his momentum, and used my body to cushion the fall as we both went down.

When we landed, my legs were on the outside of his.

I didn't fight the momentum, or the energy of the fall. I went with it.

I was afraid of my dad hitting his head on the cement sidewalk, if he fell.

Two neighbors were there to help him up, and they each took an arm, and walked him to his apartment, and sat him on his couch, while I got the bags of groceries.

Once inside, Dad told me that he finally agrees that he should use his four-footed cane to help him with balance.

So, that was the excitement for my day.

I am just glad that I was able to catch him in his fall.

I shudder to think about what might have happened if I hadn't.

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness you were there for him and I hope You're OK.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm fine. I didn't get hurt.

Valued Contributor

You're a good daughter.  I commend you for all you do taking care of your Father.  I only hope to have the love and caring from my children as you do for your Father.

Esteemed Contributor
How frightening for you both!
Honored Contributor

I'm glad you both were not injured. Your guardian angels were watching you both!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

So glad you were able to avert what could have been a very bad situation!   I do hope your dad starts using his cane for stabilizing himself, as obviously he is at great risk for falling.

The way you latched onto your dad and fell with him is exactly what a relative of mine who was an RN in the hospital did with a patient who passed out.   The patient was a large woman, and my cousin was not positioned just right for the perfect catch and lowering to the floor, which resulted in a back injury that ultimately led to her disability.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dad Took a Tumble Today

[ Edited ]

Sorry this happened. You're lucky you both weren't hurt.

Honored Contributor

OMG, what a fortunate thing you were right there and basically absorbed his fall. It could have been a lot worse, which I'm sure you're aware.

Not a good happening, but maybe a 'good' scare if it got him to think about always using his cane. Sometimes little warnings can have positive outcomes. Glad you afe both okay.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Falling is serious business.  I get really angry when people laugh at the I've fallen and can't get up commercials.  I find nothing funny about them. My maternal grandmother fell twice.  She broke her hip and ended up in a nursing home with no will to live.  Thankfully your father was okay.