Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Falling is serious business.  I get really angry when people laugh at the I've fallen and can't get up commercials.  I find nothing funny about them. My maternal grandmother fell twice.  She broke her hip and ended up in a nursing home with no will to live.  Thankfully your father was okay.

Absolutely true.  A friend who lives near me, called to tell me she was on the floor and couldn't get up.  I dropped everything and went to help her.  I couldn't lift her and between us she couldn't get up.  I ended up calling 911 and asked them to quietly send a couple of firemen to help her.  They appeared very fast and had her up in no time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You sure reacted quickly in an emergency, Plaid Pants. I'm glad neither of you were hurt and I hope he sticks with his decision to use that cane.

Esteemed Contributor

Awww PP, this post got me choked up. I am so glad you are there for your dad. I think that is wonderful. Today I babysat my almost 2 yr old grandson and just watching him, playing with him today and helping him with something small I was just thinking, we are there for them when they are young to help them and guide them and they are there for us when we get older and need help (in optimal situations). I have been thinking about this so much lately because the past 6 months or so I have noticed my mom is getting really forgetful. We have an appt in July for her but I am getting a little worried. Mortality and things of that nature have been on my mind a lot. 

I am glad you were there to catch him so he didn't fall too. You are a good daughter. From stories you have shared, you seem to have such a great relationship with your dad. It is nice to hear. Thanks for sharing this story. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

How fortunate that you reacted the way you did.  I give you a lot of credit for your devotion to your father.  He is so blessed to have such a loving daughter.  This event must have been so scary for you both.  Although you are both living in the same building, you may want to consider getting to wear a LifeAlert for his protection when he is alone.  I bet it would give you both a good measure of comfort.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2  ~  daughter/earth angel 👼 = lucky dad!

Esteemed Contributor

I am so happy to hear that you were able to break your Dad's fall. Maybe he will look into a cane to stabilize himself a little better. I know Senior citizens sometimes fight that suggestion...

Valued Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Falling is serious business.  I get really angry when people laugh at the I've fallen and can't get up commercials.  I find nothing funny about them. My maternal grandmother fell twice.  She broke her hip and ended up in a nursing home with no will to live.  Thankfully your father was okay.

I so agree, my grandmother lived on her own until she fell at 97 years old. Then it was downhill all the way until her death a few months later. My 88 year old mother fell in April, and now she is in assisted living. 

Trusted Contributor

Sweetee2                         I'm so happy you both all right, even more so that he made the decision to use a cane on his own. The elderly can be so stubborn. I guess they just don't want to give up which is a good thing, but Thier comes a time when they  need to think about the effect it has on the love one that are trying to help them.

Respected Contributor
PP ~ Welcome to my world. My dad is 88, sharp as a tack. However, he has significant neuropathy and can hardly feel his feet. Also, he is 6'2" and 215lbs.
He is blind in one eye and he finally gave up driving after he lost his eyesight.
He lives in an independent senior living that has shuttle bus service to stores. He has fallen twice in the front of his building. All residents are required to have a life alert bracelet. Both times he fell he needed stitches above his eye.
We split our time between two states.
Lately, I do his shopping for him. He usually just needs the basics so, I'm happy to do it for him.
He He gets his evening meal in the dining room and sandwiches in the deli.
He has a fancy walker with the seat as well as a cane.
I feel your pain. I am just waiting for that phone call telling me that he broke something. It's a new world with our parents living longer. Heck, I am nearly 63 and retired and my brother is 64 and getting ready to retire.
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 Oh my goodness. I hope you and your dad are okay! Heart