Esteemed Contributor

That's what occasionally shows up on my caller ID.  And the phone number it's coming from is an area code and then 000 and then the last four digits of the number.

Has anyone else gotten either of these?  Did you answer?  Any idea what it is?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

LOL reverse psychology!  

No, I haven't! 

Honored Contributor

I never answer calls like that.  In fact, I don't answer any calls unless I recognize the caller.  I often will google the number and see if it's been reported as spam.  Then I block the call.

Esteemed Contributor

Not exactly that but have gotten 000-000-0000. Second strangest one is when my own number shows up.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda, I can't speak to that specific spam number, but we just simply don't answer if it's a number that we don't recognize, unless we are expecting a call from someone who might have Caller ID.

We also use various no-call options, one of which is through our phone company. Since then, the spam calls get dropped after one ring.

Oh, and also, @esmerelda, be very careful. There is an ingenious scam dubbed the "yes" scam:

If you still have a landline phone, make sure you aren't snared in the latest robocall scam.

Anyone who still has a traditional home phone dreads the hated robocall. As part of the latest scam, the caller, instead of mentioning who they are, instead asks "Can you hear me?" That could be a sign that a scammer is on the other end of the line.

The Federal Communications Commission Monday issued a consumer alert against just such scammers. When a caller says, "Yes," that they can hear the robocall, their reply is recorded and used to authorize fraudulent charges via telephone on the victim's utility or credit card account, the FCC says.

The scam is prevalent, based on complaints the agency has received and from news reports across the U.S. The fraudulent callers may impersonate familiar organizations to get you to answer and talk.

"Robocalls are the number one consumer complaint to the FCC from the public. And it’s no wonder: Every month, U.S. consumers are bombarded by an estimated 2.4 billion robocalls," said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai last week at the agency's March meeting, during which the commission voted to begin a rulemaking process to eliminate robocalls.

"Not only are unwanted robocalls intrusive and irritating, but they are also frequently employed to scam our most vulnerable populations, like elderly Americans, out of their hard-earned dollars," Pai said.

What you should do, according to the FCC? Hang up immediately. Or better yet, don't answer a call from an unknown number.

If you have gotten a call such as this, review your credit card and telephone bills, as well as your bank statement for unauthorized charges.

Anyone who believes they have been targeted by this scam should immediately report the incident to the Better Business Bureau’s Scam Tracker and the FCC Consumer Help Center.

Other FCC robocall tips:

— Hang up if a caller asks you to hit a button to stop receiving calls. It's often a recording. Scammers often use that tactic to identify and target live respondents.

— If you do answer what winds up being a scam call, write the number down and add that to your FCC complaint.

— Ask your telephone company if it has a robocall blocking service. If it doesn't, recommend it get one.

— Register all of your telephone numbers in the National Do Not Call Registry

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

no, have never seen that type of a call on my cell phone or landline.

i dont answer phone calls on either phone if i dont recognize the number from caller id. i let them go to voicemail and nine times out of ten they wont even leave a voicemail.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Any way out of area code I don't answer. Any number where I'm not expecting a call, I don't answer. I moved over a year ago and no longer answer calls from my old area code because I was blocking spam calls daily.

If I want to be sure I'm not missing a call I should answer I do a look-up. A legit business will show, or if it's an ordinary residential number (wrong number) it will show that. Many times the number has been reported as spam. I block most numbers I don't recognize. If it's anything legit and someone needs to contact me they can leave a voicemail or text me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've been turning my home phone off lately because of the telemarketers. If someone needs to speak with me then they can leave a message and I will return their call.

Honored Contributor

That's a weird one! Maybe your carrier is putting that 'name' on it.  I know that carriers are doing more to make it easier to avoid these calls, especially in settings.

I wish I could figure out, on my new-ish cell phone, how to block calls right away.  I have to just reject the call, then go into it and choose details and there is a 'block' setting.  I'd ike to block them as they come in.  It seems like there would be a setting for that.

Honored Contributor

OMG!  Recently I've been getting sales calls from numbers that are almost exactly like my home phone number (on my home phone).

I have a marvelous telephone where I can push a button on it that says "Call Block" and it says "Do I want to block call" and I say "Yes" and I don't get any more calls from that number.  I've used it more than 100 times within this year.  It is heaven!