Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU GIVE BLOOD????

[ Edited ]

Absolutely, although I started late in life:  I was a scaredy cat where needles were concerned.

Today I have donated almost 40 pints of   O+ blood.  Since I am in very good health and am lucky enough to not take any of the prohibited medications, why not give thanks in this simple way.  There is no " artificial " blood... The need is for the real thing.

Since I have had a little difficulty in the past, I always ask for the most experienced phlebotomist and explain my issue.  No problem there.

They make it easier to donate by allowing you to complete the lengthy questionnaire online the day of the donation:  it's called Rapid Pass.  You still will get blood pressure, pulse, and temperature taken, as well as a finger stick to test your hemoglobin level.

And then afterwards, there are refreshments...liquids and nuts or cookies....so you don't faint !

If you can't donate, why not become a volunteer to assist with the social activities during the blood drive ?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

They won't take mine - since my kidney cancer in 1991 I run anemic.Too bad as I'm B- and that is hard to find at times.

Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU GIVE BLOOD????

[ Edited ]

Can't.  We lived in Germany 1984-1987 during the mad cow scare and ate german meat.  No one ever asks about Chernobyl.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

No, but I wish I could. I thank everyone that is so generous to not only share their blood, but also for taking the time it does to do so. Without donors, people like myself, that as had north of 120 blood transfusions, would not be alive.

My wife was/is in the "Multi-Gallon Club" in giving blood and platelets over many years. She gave on a regular basis, and the Red Cross would call her many times to donate platelets. Don't remember her blood type, but there is much less of it than with my B-Pos.

My wife now cannot donate because they(Red Cross) will not let you if your Hemoglobin level is under 12. We both also have to get checked regularly for our Iron Ferritin levels. Will find out tomorrow if I need an Iron Infusion, as I had blood drawn last Friday.

While my Hemoglobin is higher than it has been(15.3)recently, it does not always correlate with my Blood Iron Ferritin level. If it is low, I now have to have it Infused in 2 sessions, 1 week apart. Since I went into Anaphylactic Shock during one Infusion, they changed the type of Iron and cut the dosage in half, thus the 2 day method.

@tends2dogs a very thoughtful thread and as one that has taken the blood of the many donors, I thank you and every single person that has donated their blood.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Yes--lifetime donor.  Even though I am anemic and my hemoglobin can be quite low, I finally figured out how to get my blood count up high enough to give on a regular basis.  I am O+ and that is needed always.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I do not give blood, nor am I an organ donor.  Fortunately, I survived malignant melanoma (it killed my father) and I take it very seriously.  When I had my surgery they told me never to donate blood or organs because they believed (at that time) that cancer cells were likely dormant in my system and could possibly be transferred through blood or organ donation – better to be safe than hurt someone who needed either blood or an organ.  Blood donation organizations would screen for melanoma survivors and while other cancer survivors were clear to donate after about 10 years, melanoma survivors where never to donate.  Years later, he FDA “revisited its donor deferral recommendations” and they changed that ruling for both HIV donors (most can now donate after 12 months) and melanoma donors who can donate after 2 years.  These changes came about the same time they started getting lax on things like how often people needed cancer screenings like mammograms & pap smears, and other tests.  I don’t think cutting back on those tests were wise health decisions and I don’t think suddenly clearing HIV and melanoma survivors was wise, either.  I certainly do not want to be responsible to adding to someone’s heath burden – especially when they would likely have a chance at a less risky donor.  I will stay out of the donor pool and err on the safe side for all concerned.    I am forever grateful to those who have donated blood because my father needed platelets badly in his final months and those transfusion gave him energy and renewed sense of wellbeing…and that is a priceless gift we all enjoyed and appreciated.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

No, I am a Red Cross reject - veins too small to accommodate the size of needle required to get what they want.  They said I should give $$$.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I don't think there is an upper age limit for donating blood.  My inlaws are in their 70's and liifetime donors, it's one of the things they do to give back.  I haven't donated blood in a very long time and I should get back to doing it.  For years, I did it when my employer held it's twice a year blood drive.  But two years in a row, I was anemic and they wouldn't take my blood.  So, I just got out of the habit.  I need to start doing it again.  Great post.

Trusted Contributor

donor.JPG

Contributor
I gave all the time and I was in Germany in the Army in 84-85 so I can't donate anyone!